Falls of the Ohio Sauger

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by derbycitycatman, Dec 7, 2005.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Have heard this is the time of year to fish for them there and have never fished for sauger before. Anybody got any tips or just point me in the right direction. Ill be fishing from the bank.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I would try crappie minnows on the bottom with a single or double splitshot in muddy water and white twister tail grubs in clearer water. With the river as muddy as it is right now, I would go with the minnows. Maybe Skipjack will chime in, he has been tearing up the sauger somewhere down your way. Vern

3. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    minnows on bottom is the way the guys down at cannelton catch um an the ones out in the boats just straight line jig curly tails off the bottom. the guys in boats are much more productive for they have depth finders to stay right over top of um.

4. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I haven't been to the falls for about three weeks. It's just been to darn cold. You can park in the Interprative Cntr. parking lot and walk down to the rocks. We use 1/4 oz jig heads with white or yellow curly tail grubs. Use your best casting bass rod and reel with 8 or 10 lb line. Just cast as far as you can, let it fall for 6 or 8 seconds, then retrieve, and let it fall, retrieve, let it fall, and so on. The fish usually hit on the fall.Try to bounce it along the bottom.Take plenty of jigs and plan on loosing some. The fishing gets tougher when the water is up.The best time is just before sunset. Good luck and stay warm. Let us know if you catch any. Check out this link for more info.http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3630

5. Julien3

Julien3 New Member

State:
    USA
    sounds good to me