Falls of the Ohio/Markland Dam

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by ScottWiseman, Mar 21, 2006.

1. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Hi all...was just wondering if anyone ever fishes at the Falls of the Ohio there at Markland Dam? I am going there this Sunday and Monday to do some cat and carp fishing. I hear that there is good parking there and easy bank access. I will be fishing from the bank. Anyone got any tips to offer? I will probably be using skips for cats. Any one place better than others? Thanks alot in advance for the help.

2. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think falls of the ohio is down at McAlpine dam?

Markland has a spot with parking, on the indiana side, right next to the power plant. Lots of steps, but not bad once you are down there.

3. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Oops...my bad...youre right.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    so which is it mcalpine or markland ? hard to give good advice without knowing if its markland i maybe of help my brother and i fish there alot .

5. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Scott I'm definitly going camping this weekend so i won't be down there. But maybe next time you come down I can meet you there. Good luck too ya.

6. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    It is McAlpine...but if you have some info on Markland, I will take that too. Not sure yet where I am going. I will be fishing from the bank.

7. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Scott, I'm almost positive that the falls will be under water where most of the people fish for cats. I think the river level has to be around 14ft. for the bed to be exposed to walk out on. If it is exposed there is a point that has a deep hole in front of it that people fish for cats it is kind of a s curve, I'm sure people will be there fishing if the water level is right. Also, there is a boat ramp just down stream from the falls that you can fish that the current from the gates hits the bank and runs down the Ind. bank and forms a eddy that a lot of people fish. You will have to ask for directions on how to get there? Hope this helps...

8. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    James you talking about the ramp where George Rogers Clark's cabin is at?

9. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Scooter, if you go to the markland dam its a rought climb down the rocks rite beside the wall at the dam
    But if you go to the steps its not to bad.The first time I was at the dam i fell and almost broke a leg climbing down the rocks.............LOL

10. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Yes Mark that is the one...

11. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Thanks James. Scott if you want to go to the boat ramp let me know and I'll give you directions. It's really easy. I'm leaving tomorrow to go camping so let me know soon. Or you can actually follow the historical signs. It's on Harrison Ave if that would help ya.