Falls of the Ohio Fishing Report 5-29-2009

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by kevins, May 30, 2009.

1. kevins

kevins New Member

State:
    Louisville, KY
    Well I got to the falls around 7:30am but I didnt get started till 8:30 or so. They sounded the siren as soon as I got to my spot and I waited to see how much they would raise it, it went up about 6 inches so I got started.

The river was about 16 feet before they sound the siren. Bites were slow and the water was fast as they had the 2 inside gates open. They sounded the siren again about 30 minutes later and this time the water rose over 1 foot and forced me to a higher rock ledge. Anyway, after that the bites picked up and I got a tiny 1lb channel which made me laugh and scould the little guy for getting in trouble.

About 15 minutes later I got a 10lb blue and the water rose another 4-6 inches. After about 45 minutes later my rod doubled over in a heartbeat. I jumped up and the circle hook had done its job, I wasn't sure what I had but it was fighting and I knew it must be a blue. S0 I fought it against the current and got it close to the rock and yeah it was a blue and a good size one. I got it to me and tried to pick it up and the line snapped halfway down the hook line. It looks like the rock ledge and the fish sliced the braided line pretty good.

I got the fish away from the water and tried to get a couple of pictures and weighed it. 24.75lbs... I carried one angry fish back to the water and heaved it back in. Well here are a couple of pics.. it is had to judge the size so I tried to put my size 10 1/2 shoe close to it.

I did have another take down and this time it was way bigger than what I figured it would be bad thing is it surged and snapped my 80lb test powerpro braided line. :embarassed:

I was using skipjack that morning. Oh and I went back today but the parking lots within 1/2 mile from the park were full because they had some sort of race this morning.. GRR..

Attached Files:

2. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    nice blue congrats and thanks for sharing the pics

3. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    Nice fish, Kevin!! What rod/reel were you using for the big blue, if I may ask?

4. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Kevin if you through that braided line away and run on up to bass pro and pick up a spool of ( off shore angler )in mono you will quit losing fish in those rocks. rocks = razor blade to braid

I have not fished up behind there in a long time. is there still a pond along the wall by the gate when the waters down? we use to catch a mess of fish in there from were they get traped in. do people still wade out and wake the fossol beds or has that been cut off

5. kevins

kevins New Member

State:
    Louisville, KY

The rod reel combo was new from Bass Pro shop, it is the Offshore Angler Sea Lion SL80 reel and a 10ft 2 piece Offshore Angler rod. It was 79.99 for the combo. Its a pretty nice combo, my other rod/reel combo is a 7ft ugly stik heavy action rod and a Shimano Sedona 6000 reel.

The SL80 reel has a great line capacity, I can spool on 300 yards of 18lb diameter line.

6. kevins

kevins New Member

State:
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah the pond is still there and I see people fish it when the water is low enough. Lately the water has been pretty rough and we had one week were it was down to almost summer pool, other than that it has been up alot.

People still wade out in the summer. I believe they re-opened the hydo park so people can fish off the wall again. I havent been over there to see yet though.

Today the Stripers were biting good, some people were nailing 15 to 20 pounders and one guy snagged a spoon bill that was almost 5 feet long.