Falls Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by wtjordan84, Jul 16, 2009.

1. wtjordan84

wtjordan84 New Member

State:
    NC
    A guy told me this weekend at the boat dock that there are no blues in falls lake, just flatheads and channels....however I read an article from NC Game and Fish which stated that there were a good amount of blues in Falls Lake, and few flatheads....my question is who do I believe? I want to go with the magazine, but this dude at the dock claims hes been fishing the lake since he was a kid and has never heard tell of a blue being caught there.....anyone ever personally caught any blues OR flatheads out at Falls? What about Jordan? Im sure there are flatheads at both, but not sure about blues.
    also.....im planning on taking a weekend trip soon. im thinking about kerr or gaston, but im willing to drive somewhere else if there is a better chance I could get into a trophy cat......any suggestions. im in the raleigh/durham area...thanks

2. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    My immediate suggestion would be to try the lake anyway , despite the hearsay. Alot of people will feed you misinformation in order to either keep the presence of the fish a secret or from fear that you would run up on his favorite spot and wipe the slate clean. Basically what I'm attempting to say is go for what you know , keyword being 'you'. Good luck!!

3. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    theres 2 "falls lake" in NC one below Badin and another further down the chain I think. someone else will have to chime in.

4. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    About a month ago I was launching the boat at Badin and had a guy tell me that flatheads will not bite live bait, only blues and channels will. In this guys opinion, you have to use cut bait to catch flatheads. Be careful where you get your information, and Jerry is correct, there are two Falls lakes in NC, be sure you are talking about the same one.

5. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    If you are talking about Falls Lake in Raleigh/Durham all I think I ever really catch out of there is channels. I used to hit Falls alot but I would only catch small cats and only on chicken livers. Caught my biggest one out of Falls the other night on a fish head while crappie fishing. I read the same article I think you are talking about that said there are some decent cats in there including flatheads. I talked to a guy at a tackle shop once and he said that there are good cats in there, said to go up the where the eno flows into the lake and drag bait along the bottom of the river channel. I haven't tried that yet but might try it in a week or so.

6. DAKATKILLA

DAKATKILLA Member

State:
    CHARLOTTE
    if your talkin bout falls under badin lake their is a nice amount of blues and flatheads wen i used to go juggin we cought a bunch of blues and now that i dont jug anymore i still used to catch a bunch :smile2: and i cought a 44 pound flathead on my pole at falls.last time i went i didnt catch nothin but babies lol but i guess theirs good days and bad days:sad2:

7. justadrifter

justadrifter New Member

State:
    nc
    all i ever caught outta falls is channels but there are definately blues in jordan some good sized ones to ive caught some recently around the s curves

8. wtjordan84

wtjordan84 New Member

State:
    NC
    thats cool...i appreciate the info guys. And just to clarify im talking about the Falls Lake in Durham/Raleigh. Ive been fishing it for a couple of years now, but only as of the last couple of months have I started catfishing there. Ive had alot of luck with channels, regularly catching them in the 5-10 lb range with an occassional one as big as 12-13 lbs.....but still cant say Ive seen any blues or flatheads. However Ive caught some weird looking channels....almost like theyre a subspecies or something. They will have the head of a 10 lb fish, but will only weigh 3-4 lbs. Not sure if it could be a flathead/channel hybrid, or if it is just a channel that is starving! haha, but its definitely not a blue. The other channels I have caught there seem healthy and proportionate, anyone else experienced this? Also, I wasnt aware that there were blues in Jordan, thats good to know. I will have to switch up my game and give them a shot. Thanks again

9. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    wtjordan84,

I never have any luck with any decent size cats in Falls (raleigh). Maybe you could give a few pointers. I am going to be out there tonight for crappie and wouldn't mind catching a few cats while I am there. What baits are you using? What depths to you aim for? Any particular part of the lake? Thanks

10. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Falls of the Neuse Reservoir in Raleigh..................

I've never caught a flathead or blue from there and also have never seen one come from there. I had a fellow tell me he had caught a couple blues from there up to seventeen lbs. He was head of all the campground maintenance around the lake and seemed to be a straight shooter. After talking to him for a few minutes I realized that he did know the difference between a channel and a blue. He also said he had seen a couple flatheads come outta there.

Those wide headed catfish you're catching are white catfish. There's a pile of those in Falls and they're good eating fish. I don't know that I've ever seen one over about three pounds.

Falls and Jordan are not known for big cats. I've never even heard a rumor of a big catfish coming from either lake. Kerr Lake and Lake Gaston are your best bet for big catfish. They're both world class fisheries. I prefer Kerr. It is about 50,000 acres so you'll always have a little elbow room.

11. wtjordan84

wtjordan84 New Member

State:
    NC
    thanks again....it sounds like the big headed cats are definitely white catfish....so since ive joined this site ive had my eyes opened now to 2 species of fish Ive been catching at falls regularly. (white perch and white catfish)....I do know for a fact that there are some flatheads in falls, but i believe they are probably few and far between. and to respond to you hardy, as of recently catching channels in falls has been pretty easy.....I target points that run close to the channel....almost every point that Ive fished there I have caught some cats, but it seems like some produce much better than others. The best ones for me are the ones that seem to parallel the channel if that makes any sense....i have one point in particular that is only a few feet deep but the channel runs right besides it, so the water drops quickly to 20 feet or more....I usually fish a couple of lines deeper and a couple of lines shallow until i find them. The best time of day for me is right before it gets dark and the first hour or two afterwards, then it seems like the bite slows. I use cut bream or shad which are really easy to catch with the cast net at falls....not sure if you fish the upper end or lower end of the lake, but i usually put in towards the upper end. Hope this helps....and now you can tell me how to catch crappie at falls! any pointers?

12. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I normally put in at upper bartons creek when I got to falls. I was out there last night crappie fishing and kept a line out for catfish and managed a few but nothing over 2 pounds. As far as crappie fishing goes I have been using a floating light attached to my deep cycle battery. You can get them from Dick's for about $13. I look for an area that has some sort of structure to set up on. By that I don't mean huge trees, but ground structure like a steep channel wall, or where a channel meets a creek channel at the mouth of a cove. Then I anchor up and put the light over. I do this right about sunset. Then you wait a little while and you will start to see baby shad circling your light. This brings in the crappie and white perch. I use minnows on #1 gold aberdeen hooks with one small splitshot if there is no wind, more weight if neccessary. Then just drop the minnow strait down and wait for the crappie. The crappie are hitting pretty light right now so it pays to keep a good eye on your line for any movements. You will need to work different depths to find where the crappie are holding. Last night I was in 25 or so feet of water and catchign crappie from about 14-5 feet of water. Good luck with the crappie, and this is a good website that is focused just on crappie fishing http://www............./crappie/north-carolina-crappie/

13. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
  14. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    the ............. are crappie . com