Falls Lake (Raleigh)

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by luke1wcu, Dec 28, 2006.

1. luke1wcu

luke1wcu New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Anyone know much about or fish Falls Lake (north of Raleigh)? I'm looking for some good spots and curious if there are fish of any size caught out there much. Also curious what anyone may have to say about the Beaver Dam area of Falls Lake. My biggest so far there is the one in the avatar picture...not too great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Luke a couple of guys I work with fish there and have claimed to caught some nice fish. They are fishing from a boat though. I have only fished it once. I normally fish Jordan since it is about 8 minutes from my house.

3. luke1wcu

luke1wcu New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thats why I fish Falls Lake so often, its right down the road. hopefully soon I'll have a boat to bring out there. I have always had my doubts about Falls though, just because it seems to be more of a ski boat lake than anything.

4. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Yea man,

Falls is a trophy crappie lake and there are some nice bass caught there as well. As for catfish, it is packed full of channel cats about the size of the one in your picture. As a matter of fact, that's a pretty nice cat for falls. If anyone has ever caught a blue or flathead from there I've never heard about it. ( I was born and raised in raleigh and used to fish the neuse below the old mill dam before they ever built the lake.) If you're interested in catching some larger cats fish the river below the dam, and I mean way below the dam. Not many miles below the Falls Dam there is another dam called Milburnie Dam. It is located about one quarter of a mile upstream of US 64 in Raleigh. You can access it from Old Milburnie Road.(Those of us from Raleigh call this place Raleigh Beach). You used to be able to do as you please there before it was in the city limits but now it's a city park. If I'm not mistaken it is now the only dam left between Falls Dam and the sound at Oriental, NC. In the spring when the water starts warming a bit cut up some bream put it on a hook and pitch it out below Milburnie Dam (And I mean anywhere below it from Raleigh to Oriental) on a bottom rig and watch your rod closely. Gar, bowfin & catfish abound. Hope this helps.

5. luke1wcu

luke1wcu New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I appreciate all the info. There just doesn't seem to be any good BIG catfish spot around the Raleigh area. Falls Lake is just down the road and has good quantity, but I'm about ready for quality now. I'll have to try below the dam, I've been scouting it out on GoogleEarth. I might not be able to wait until the water warms up though.:tounge_out:

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Bryan said it if your looking for big cats get away from the (local)lakes and start fishing the rivers...when I say local I mean the wake county area as some of the bigger lakes west and north of here produce some big cats..

and if your fishing from shore, don't cast your rod out and walk away from it there is not telling what might hit your bait...there are some BIG fish in our local rivers....

bait of choice: (for me) is live bluegills and cut shad or eels...
    rigs: We usually use a carolina rig or a three way rig....with a 8/0 gamakatsu circle or kahle hook

line choice is important: use a heavy weight line, I use 65 lb.suffix braid main line and 50 lb. leader, lots of snags in the river and you want to be able to pull fish from or out of snags if necessary.

hope this helps....

good luck!

7. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have fish Fall Lake once in November of 2005. Me and a friend caught several small fiddlers (5) below a dam and around a bridge. Can't remember which ones or I would tell you.