Falls Lake-Lakes around the Raliegh area?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Southernraised84, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    Gonna be doing some fishing in and around the Raleigh area just wondering what lakes around there are good for cattin.I know im going to Falls lake soon so if anyone knows any hot spots out there im all ears.Or if you know any other good lakes around the area i am all ears.

2. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    If you want 2-10 pound Channel cats, Falls or Jordan are the places to go. Harris Lake has the largest of the three lakes as far as Channels but I can only seem to catch em on live bream mostly in the Fall.

I have fished the three lakes for about 13 years and my biggest Channel is from Harris at 19 lbs. There are no Flatheads or Blues to speak of.........maybe one here or there but no giants that I have ever heard of or seen. There are Flatheads in the Cape Fear and Haw Rivers behind Jordan Lake. That area is just real hard to fish because of the deep middle and endless snags along the banks. I have seen some 50 plus pound Flats from the Cape Fear up here but they require way to much work for my taste.

If you want that sized Channel (they fight really good), I know tons of great spots on Jordan and Falls and would be glad to share em'.........

3. BklynBob

BklynBob New Member

How about some more info in those spots in Falls lake :confused:

4. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    I'll give you two good ones to start with. One on each side of the lake. Spot number one: put in at upper barton ramp. As you leave the creek toward the main lake, you will see a danger buoy on the right. Head right for it. That buoy marks a flat off of a point. I like to set up on it so most rods are on the flat (4-6 feet), and one or two are in deeper water (7-11 feet). Big Channel Cats will feed there all night. Cut shad is the ticket with the occasional live bream. You can get all the bream you want around the boat dock. If you fish it at night in April, you stand a good chance of two things, seeing me and catching a big Striper. Picture number one below is my brother and a 23 lbder caught in 2003 from that spot. I had a bigger one on that same night and the hook pulled right at the boat.

Spot number two: Put in at the Ledgerock ramp and leave the creek. As soon as you get to the mouth of the creek, go right. You will see a line of buoys in a minute or so. There is a swim beach/boat ramp to the left. Go to the point on the left as you approach the buoys. Fish off that point same as spot one. That whole area is good and the white bass school all the time as well in the Summer. This spot seems to produce alot more fish probably cause the area is so big. I think there are some big cats there due to some topwater activity I have heard when the shad are in that area thick. Picture number two are a few we caught one night last year. We released them after the picture.

Thats a few of the better spots. If they don't work out for you...I'll share some more. Good luck if you go....... :rolleyes:

Attached Files: