Falls Lake Channel catfish

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by slabinator, May 5, 2006.

1. slabinator

slabinator New Member

I have been lurking around this site for a while now and have learned a lot. I figured if I'm ever going to be able to open attachments and look at pictures of the fish ya'll have been catching I'd better post something. The wife and I went to Falls Lake last Sunday Crappie fishing. It was cool and windy and no crappie. Anchored up in 8' of water in the head of Upper Bartons Creek and bottom fished with freezer burned shrimp. Caught 7 channel cats in about an hour. The 3 biggest were about 3 lbs each. Smallest 1.5 lbs or so. Not trophies but fun to catch and tasted great.

2. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Thats a good spot!!!use some fresh cut bait and you should increase the size of the fish your catching.....

I fished there alot last year with fresh cut shad and caught a bunch of nice sized channels from that spot 5-10lbers.....remember no one holds the state record for the channel yet, it will start when somebody catches a 20lber.

3. slabinator

slabinator New Member

bigblaze,
    I'll take the cast net and see if I can catch some shad nest time. I cast net finger mullet at the coast all the time but have never tried to catch shad at Falls. Do you have any advice as to where to catch them? Somebody has got to get that state record it might as well be you or me. Thanks for the advice and good luck.

4. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    Right now, the gizzard shad are pretty thick around the boat ramp at Upper Bartons. If you can't get them there, go under the bridge by the ramp and look for them on the right, parallel to the road you came in on. One of the best places to catch channels though, is on the other end of the lake (Ledgerock area). It is night and day and the cats are a lot bigger on average up that way. I know several spots fairly close to the Ledgerock ramp if you ever decide to go that way let me know and I will put you real close to some great Channel fishing. Here is a picture from that area from last year. By the way, all those cats are still swimming. I'd rather eat saltwater fish myself.

Attached Files:

5. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    it's all in the bait i fished ledge rock and upper bartons...if you use worms or some other bait you catch small ones but put on some fresh cut shad and the big ones can't stand themselves

last year during the early morning hours I caght about 30 2-5 lb channels in about 4 hours....i couldn't keep three rods in the water...

slabinator greg is dead on where to catch shad....

good luck!!!

6. slabinator

slabinator New Member

Just posting to get 10 posts. I really want to look at some pictures.

7. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    hey slabinator where do you hail from in NC????

(just helping you get your 10 posts to look at pics)

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    how many fish did you catch ?

9. slabinator

slabinator New Member

Big Blaze,
    I live in Raleigh, off of Creedmore Road. About 15 minutes from Falls Lake. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Work keeps interferring with my fishing

10. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Yea I have that problem also( work interfering with fishing). I live in Clayton but we just moved our new office (work) to Creedmore rd. under Radio 1.

Falls lake level should be up good now, did you get a chance to mark or photograph all the good structure or river channels when the water was low??

11. slabinator

slabinator New Member

No, unfortunately I didn't get out to the Lake much when the water was low. I had boat problems for several months which I didn't get fixed until this spring.