Falls Dam Report

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Tomahawk, May 13, 2006.

1. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well me and Catfishrus tried beating the crowds today, so we decided to try Falls dam. At first we tried fishing up river for flatheads. We caught several channels and a striper. Then we headed down river to try for blues, drift fishing. They weren't running any water. We wew using downlines and two floatrigs in back of the boat. The floatrigs were the way to go. We only caught two fish on the downlines. We were drifting along channel ledges. We ended up with 12-14 blues from 2-12lbs. The blues were really hitting those floatrigs. It was alot of fun. Everytime you turn around a float would go under. Using small 3" shad for bait. I would of liked to seen what would of happened if they had the water going. They bite alot better when theres moving water. Didn't see anybody else catch anything, I think we had the secert weapon. Water was alittle colder down there then at BAdin it was at 63*.

2. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    You know yesterday on Tillery some kind of fish kept hitting something on top of water. rolling or whatever you want to say. It was not small fish either. Never could see them - wonder if it could have been the blues. Just guessing.
    Tomahawk how far is it from 73 bridge to Falls dam.
    Thanks for the report.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    jd its somewhere around 10-15 miles guessing. you would have to come back to albemarle and take a rt on hwy 740 and go to the little of badin to get to falls dam. we use slip corks to catch those fish so they where not close to the top. bait is really hard to get at falls dam. we went to badin first so there is some work to fishing falls dam with good bait.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Good report,

I also go to a lake to get my bait before hitting the river and yes it does make a huge difference. I get those little 4-5 inch shad, and it outfishes the larger baits that we catch at the river. It's almost like cheating it makes such a big difference.

5. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Help me in my unlearned condition. when you talking about fishing Falls Dam are you taking fishing on Lake Tillery side of the dam (never been up there) or are you talking about fishing In Yadkin river toward Badin Dam. I never been any of these places so just have map to go by. Where do you put in. Can you run up Lake Tillery from Hwy 73 bridge and about how far is it.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I thought they were talking about Falls Dam on Falls lake? The Neuse River?

7. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    theres is also a falls dam on the yadkin......falls dam on the neuse is newer lake than falls on the yadkin..........rolling fish were probaly carp....went to uwharrie river last week smallmouth fishing...only caught 1.......took my freind by tuckertown dam to show him where he can catfish.......carp rolling everywhere ......had 2 rods in the car...ul with 6 lb test and a flyrod......used the ul and caught a 14 lb carp...alsmost spoolled me twice....mack

8. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    The place we were fishing is right behind the sourthern dam on BAdin. It's a three mile section of river. The southern dam is the begining of Lake Tillery. It's pretty nice down there, no develoment. During the week days you can be the only person fishing down there, real peaceful and quiet. For such a small lake it has alot of blues and some real nice ones. It's all rock structure down there, from one side to the other and it's also pretty deep in areas. A good place to go when you don't want to fight the crowds.

9. Mpayne

Mpayne New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Tomahawk, I've heard there are a lot of snags in this lake, it this true? Sounds like drifting would get around this anyway. Glad to here you had a good day on the lake.

Mark

10. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Payne, I found over the years that fishing on the bottom at FAlls doesn't produce. The fish like suspened baits. Anywhere close to the bottom or higher in the water colum. There must be something on the bottom to discourage the fish from feeding. It might be just beacuse it's all rock bottom.

11. Mpayne

Mpayne New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks Tomahawk,

I will have to give it a try and see if I have better results.

Mark