Falls dam report

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Tomahawk, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Took some people out on a guide trip dow to Falls Dam this morning. The bluecats were bitting. We weren't there 10 min and caught our first one. I lost count of all the blues we caught but it was a bunch. He want to have a small fish fry so we keep a cooler full of them. The biggest fish of the day was a 25lber that his son caught, he had a blast with that fish. Most of the fish ranged from 10-20lbs. Using live bait and cut bait. It was a nice morning on the water no people and the temp were cool. We were off the water by 0830.

2. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    a 3 hour tour.....a 3 hour tour:smile2:

congrats, sounds like a fun trip. Guess you didnt try the flatheads?

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    We started fishing about 0200. We wanted to catch some flatheads but they weren't bitting. I think with all the current latly it really shut down the flats. By 0800 they had the floodgates open on both ends of the lake.

4. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I think it's all fixing to change, by next weekend I bet we will be begging for current...me anyway. I will have to improve my flathead skills. :embarassed:

5. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I was down there Saturday and they had the gates open. Initally , I thought this was good until I began losing hooks by the masses and for some reason all of these people just walked up and began fishing beside me subsequently screwing up my lines. But I remember seeing to the left of the dam , viewed from the park , what looked like a large slack water cove. Only thing about this is its hell getting there on foot. Whenever I return to the park , I'll try to find a way to safely make it to this cove. I saw a man and his kids with a stringer full of monstrous bream , crappie , and 2 decent catfish. Therefore , I must attempt the same.

6. Kim Tageson

Kim Tageson New Member

State:
    north Carolina
    I live down near Wilmngton - so I can fish Cape Fear River (and soon Sutton I hope). I have 3 days off out toward the end of July ... would Falls Lake be good fishing in mid-summer? (usually). Any other good three-day places to fish (in mid summer) that anyone would recommend based on their experiences?

7. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    The Falls dam I was talking about is right behind Badin lake. Theres a Falls lake close to the Raliegh area. To fish Falls dam you need a boat. Both Falls dam and Lake Tillery are good fishing mid-July.

8. mintaka

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Based upon my experiences , with Tomahawk I must concur with the addition of Badin and possibly Blewett Falls.

9. Kim Tageson

Kim Tageson New Member

State:
    north Carolina
    So this is the reservoir which is the section of the river just downstream of Badin? - Does bottom there allow slow trolling, or, do you pretty much have to just pick a spot and anchor. From Satellite view it seems fairly small. Reason I ask is I had some decent luck on High Rock Lake slow trolling cut bait on electric trolling motor last May - that area was mostly snag-free.

Thanks for all the great info

10. mintaka

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Personally , I've never fished there before but based upon my maps and subsequent travels the area is rather deep. Also if you travel into Uwharrie there is an area called Deep Water Trail Camp that may help you out if you desire to fish the bank. Given the topography of the surrounding land , all of those lakes should be deep and rocky. Looking on Wikipedia , it says that Badin's maximum depth is 190 feet. This came as a surprise at first , but looking around up there it is likely true. As far as trolling , I don't have or have ever been on , a boat , but the aforementioned conditions seem limitless. Hopefully , this info will assist you in your quest but if it proves redundant then when Tomahawk returns , he will be able to assist in greater capacity. Good luck!!:cool2:

11. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Falls dam is mostly a rock enviroment. I wouldn't suggest bottom dragging. I usally just anchor out. It's plenty deep, 70' the deepest part. It does get real shallow up river past the island. Bring your bait though.

12. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It looks like Tomahawk's report really got the juggers out this weekend. Jugs scattered from one end of the lake to the other. Most of the juggers weren't catching much.

13. mintaka

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Sadly , it took me renting a rowboat to catch the only catfish I caught Saturday. :embarassed:. Will return soon and attempt to resume where I left off.