Falls Dam report 6/06/06

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Rookie12, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Decide to try my luck down at Falls Dam today despite all the 666 talk. turned out to be a goodun'. Saw Tomahawk leaving Badin when I went up there to get bait. He was off the water al ittle after 7am, so he either killed 'em and his arms were sore, or he didn't get squat. I fished Falls from 8 am until noon. ended up with 16 fish altogether. 14 blues, 1 channel and a good 17" crappie. not quite as big as the one I caught the other day. Biggest blues were 22, 18 and 16. Started off fishing in about 35-40 ft. deep drifting with 4 downrods and 2 slipfloats. Got nothing for an hour and then @ 9:30am somebody rang the dinner bell. All of a sudden both slip floats dissapeared under water and 2 of my clickers started screaming. i set hooks in all the fish, felt for the biggest one, and brought him in. landed all 4 of 'em. That was fun. Caught them there pretty steady until about 10:45. Then the wind got up, so I went down to the deep water in front of the dam to try it. Marked a lot of fish between 40 and 55 ft. down. Set out the donwrods and set my slip floats down to 40 ft. didn't take long and I was back into 'em again. Bite was a little slower down there, but that is where I got the 2 big blues. Called it a day at about noon. Also saw a good bit of bait around. Usually don't see that much down there at Falls. All fish were caught on 3" threadfin shad. had a couple hits on live gizzards, but no hookups. They wouldn't hit cutbait for me. goin' back soon!! later

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Rookie I didn't get much this morning. From what I've seen the flats are spawning out. I might try Falls thursday morning. I also have to work alot of OT at work this week to pay for my trip to Cape Hatteras at the end of the month. There is a secert to fishing cutbait at Falls. Well there's alot bigger blues at Falls then most people know about. After the spawn you can get alot of good flats too.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey chris did you happen to notice the water temp at falls? wish i could have been there to help you out a little:big_smile: congrates on a good day of fishing.

4. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    The water temp. was around 74 degrees. I went way up towards the dam looking around and it was 72 degrees up there. They got that big old barge thing on them tracks down there. I've never seen that thing before. If you got a tall rig, you're out of luck putting your boat in the water. Also had a raccoon guarding my truck when I got back to the ramp. He was just sitting there by my left front fender looking at me. I kept hitting him with rocks and he still wouldn't move. Finally pegged him in the head one time and he wandered off. I think he had something wrong with him. didn't look rabid, but he wasn't right to be out in the day like that and not be scared. Also saw a bald eagle grab a fish out of the water. It was like something off Discovery Channel. Wife's getting me a digital camera for the boat for Father's day so I can start gettin' me some pics. She's a photographer and won't let me take her high dollar cameras to the lake. Everybody needs a two thousand dollar camera for their boat. might try Falls later on in the week or this weekend. later

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks for the water temp chris. i have seen a lot of racoons down there in the past at night. i even seen a bobcat one night up river there but that racoon you saw just dont sound right. wouldnt take no chances with one like that. those shots hurt i hear.

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    hey guys your not talking about falls dam in Raleigh... right???

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    no this is another small lake between badin and tillery.