Falls dam aug 4 night time

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfishrus, Aug 5, 2006.

1. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    skunked!!!!!! first time ever at falls dam. had to wait out a few thunder storms and finnally got on the water around 1.30 fished until 5.30. not even a bite. marked plenty of fish. dont know if the weather killed the bite or when they shut the water off. ran into rookie12. he said he had 3 bites before they shut the water off but the storms ran him off the lake. he went back and was still fishing when i left. lots of folks putting in when i left, so maybe someone will get them. heard talk of a 41lb blue coming out of badin last night on rod and reel before the storms hit. fish where stacked up real tight on the graph. tuff for me to catch them when they get like that for some reason. tried live and cut bait. maybe next time.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I was having the same trouble here on Gaston, until I started using Slip Bobbers. Then the fishing got great.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    zakk i used 4 slip bobber rigs all night long. the fish are there, something shut them down.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Man, that is crazy. Maybe the water temp has gotten too hot? I don't know, but something ain't right there.

5. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I bet you guys don't even want to here from me. Had to believe I do so well during the week and nothing on the weekends. I bet those stroms shut the fish down. There was alot of lighting. A good storm hit my place around 0130. Woke me up. Well'll see what happens next week.

6. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Usually when a front is coming through the baromater starts to drop and all fish go on a feeding frenzy. When the front is passed they have already fed enough for them the be full for a couple of days. I usually try to fish before the front or during to maximize my catches. After the front moves on it takes a few days for them to get into the mood again. The only problem fishing the front is lightning and high winds [very dangerous]. I wanted to go to Badin tonight but will hold off for a couple of days and go during the week. A bad day fishing is better then anything!

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thank for that information catrod. im learning on the weather patterns. that is something i struggle with but im learning. after fighting the heat with work this week it only seem right to go fishing.....lol. i still had fun watching my dad and son play rock, paper, scissoirs all night. hard to tell whos cheating in the dark.

8. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Yeah, I agree with fishing before a front, especilly in the winter time. Fronts don't usually seem to shut them down as much in the summertime, this summer seems to be slower than usual, maybe its me...................:confused2: I think the bite will pick up soon, at least better than it has been. I think we need to head to santee..............those nccat guys had a pretty good tournament there last weekend.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Summer is hard for the Blue's man. The ONLY way I can get them to bite is with slip bobbers. I have caught a lot of 5-10lb Blues this summer, but those big ones have mostly been unheard of, my dad did lose a 40+ though.

10. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Yeah, I agree with fishing before a front, especially in the winter time. Fronts don't usually seem to shut them down as much in the summertime, this summer seems to be slower than usual, maybe its me...................:confused2: I think the bite will pick up soon, at least better than it has been. I think we need to head to santee..............those nccat guys had a pretty good tournament there last weekend.

11. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    now your talking jeff. that tournment started out with thunderstorms. we went a 100 yards turned around and loaded the boat back up. waited the storm out and still caught 5 fish that weighed over a 100lbs. lots of fish caught after the storm and another thing it had already stormed before that one. it had to be a combination of things to shut them fish down like that last night. they was so stacked i believe i could have snagged one. everything was just laying off the bottom in one little area. the place is small enough that you can find them most of the time.

12. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I don't know how I double posted on that last post, anyway, catfish are just like bass, crappie or any other fish some days they bite better than others. Some days they don't bite at all. They've made me feel stupid lately.......:lol: Anytime you are fishing in a good blue cat lake, the next bite could be the one you are after. Hey Zakk, Are most of those fish you've been catching with the slip cork rig been blues ?

13. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Catfishrus, you left too early. I didn't get any big ones, but I did catch a few. I went back up to where we saw all thoe fish stacked up and drifted around with slip floats a little bit. I started to see the fish coming up off the bottom around 6:45 am. I anchored over that big hole and had a pretty good bite from 7 til 8. I got 5 blues, biggest was 15 lbs. missed several others and had one hit on a downrod that pulled the 4th eye of the rod in the water and turned it loose. That brim was totally mangled. They never did turn the water on. They were pulling good current earlier that night when I got them bites. I think like me and catfishrus were talking about on the water holds true. They pulled a lot of current Fri. afternoon and then the current stopped and that strom came through. Hey, the fish need a break too. Then I came across this huge school of fish balled up in the bottom of a hole and figured they wasn't going feed. All fish caught up river. Didn't even see a blip on the screen down by the buoys. Did see some guys land a pretty good striper, looked about 10-12 lbs. I'm going to try to get back out next Sat. morning early. I didn't catch much, but I found a bunch of good holes. later!!

14. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds great, I wish I could get my rig in Falls to fish. Kind of hard to go when your by your self, launching and getting back on the trailer solo is a pain down there. Have they move the equipment away from the ramp yet?

15. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well thats my story. too late and too early. i was too sleepy to stay any longer. chris you had a good crowd coming when i left. it looked like the drive thru at mcdonalds at the ramp....lol. congrates on your catch.

catrod its still there. i know what you mean. i hate to pull my boat up on the bank. i did get a good laugh out of dad jumping out of mine sat. morning when he hit in three of water.......lmao