Fall/winter skipjack

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by P. nasuta, Oct 21, 2007.

1. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hi Guys,

I like to use fresh skippies for bait, but I have had a terrible time catching skipjack the last three weekends. Usually a can catch a dozen with a sabiki rig pretty quick but I got skunked last week and this week. So, do skippies leave the tailwater area when it starts cooling down or am I just having some bad luck?

Thanks for the help,

P. nasuta

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't know about your area, but skippies get real scarce here in central Arkansas unless you're fishing the warm water outlet up at the nuclear plant. Of course, they can be hard to find during warm weather, too, which is why I always keep a bunch in my bait freezer.

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    In the dead of winter I have a hard time finding them where I would in the summer, but right now shouldn't be that bad. But I must say I have been skunked on skips dozens of times. This year accounts for most of those unproductive trips. I need to go out and try again. I am going to stock up now cause in the winter they seem to vanish.

4. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You can catch plenty of the "medium" skips 12-17" up at the steam-plant now. Just FYI.:big_smile:

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    What steamplant? Where?

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Check your local coal-fired or nuclear-powered generating stations that have a warm-water outlet, rather than using a self-contained cooling pond. The skippies are definitely attracted to warm water when it's cold. The colder it is, the more they get up in that warm water.

7. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    The larger Skippies have moved into the warm water disharges around here, along with the larger Hybrid Bass. Last weekend we filled our coolers up. I love this time of year at the dishcharges. When the Shad get up in there, it can be a feeding frenzy! Sometimes, we go there just to fish for Skippies and Hybrids all day! It can be a blast, at certain times, non stop action!:smile2:

8. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Pat, they have moved into the Cumberland City steamplant up near the Kentucky state line.:roll_eyes: