Fall/Winter Gar fishing

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I dont know much about Gar fishing, except that you can catch them on rope jigs and everything that you are trying to catfish with. however if a man wanted to try and catch them in the fall/winter, could he still find them sunning themselves or would there be a different technique. as fishing slows, sometimes i look for other species to give me a challenge/mix's up the winter time.

2. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    catching and finding gar are much tougher in the cooler to colder months due to the fact that the water is so much colder and it slows these fish down greatly you can still find them sunning themselves but look for a non wind blown bank and around something that holds the heat in greatly such as rocks hope this helps

3. festus

festus New Member

I don't really know much about gar fishing, but Friday a week ago I noticed when the generators at Melton Hill Dam were turned off after running several hours, they came out of hiding. Carp and gar were sure having fun jumping, splashing, and creating commotion. Some of these could have also been buffalo. But the only gar I've caught this year was when the water was churning, figure that?

4. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    thats because whenever you have the water churning like that it is warming the water up considerably its the same reason shad are easier to get when a plant is running

5. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    I use to catch gar alot on 2in twister tail jigs, on the little platte river near my home, ( no i wasn't snagging them). decent ones too, about 3 foot, mabey a little bigger. But i don't see them as much anymore.

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Down my way if you stayed quiet and sat real still in the summer you can see them in around a half a foot of water and theyll tear minnas up on points and secondary points.

7. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    Not much luck for me in the colder months, I've learned though that the Gar in my area like to play catch with my arrows Makes for a great summer :smile2:

8. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    that makes sence

9. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    they make a slim target you must be a good shot