Fall Turnover?

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Fishmaster1203, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Is your lake turning over? Looks like West Point Lake is. There is a slimey looking film floating on the surface and nothing is biting. What is your lake looking like?

2. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    I am new to fishing large lakes, but lanier looked normal Sunday!

Someone said that the temps getting colder earlier would make the turnover not as bad as normal this year??

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sorry to hear about the early turn and the no bite. Thanks for the update and I would be interested to hear what other lakes are doing.

4. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Lanier is a deeper, colder lake than West Point. It should turn over before long though. It probably has to get just a little cooler, which is fixing to happen. I don't think that it getting colder earlier will make the turnover on Lanier any different. When it turns it turns.

5. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am not exactly sure what causes the turn. How does the weather affect it? I have heard of it and witnessed it. I would assume that it corrisponds with the typical on land growing season.

6. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Shane, In the summertime the lake stratifies into three layers. The upper layer of warm water, the middle layer of cooler oxygenated water and the lower layer of colder water that has a low oxygen content. In the fall when the top layer starts cooling down it gets heavier and heavier until it sinks through the middle layer and to the bottom. When that happens, all three layers mix and usually a bunch slimy, gooey stuff floats up to the surface. The whole lake will look like it has a slimy film on the surface. When it turns over the fishing usually gets tough for a couple of weeks until it stabilizes and the fish get used to it. :tounge_out: Paul

7. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

I guess I was way off!! Thanks for the education!! :big_smile: I can always count on you to provide good information and to explain things in a way that even us hilljacks can understand. Great explanation/post!

8. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    That's about as technical as I can get. I'm no fisheries biologist. :big_smile:

9. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Maybe BassMassey can add something. :big_smile:

10. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    oconee is turing over too.......last tuesday when i fished the water was quite nasty looking. Even way up in the apalachee arm where i do most my fishing, which isn't real deep water? I actually had a better day tuesday than i've had in a while. anyone else on other lakes have any input?

11. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    Anybody know if Sinclair is turning ?...

12. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    I'm not too sure, but i bet it's quite similiar to oconee....

13. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Lake Lanier is still normal but I did notice that the creek arms have cleared up quite a bit and Ive noticed when they loose the stain the turnover isnt far behind

14. jafacman

jafacman New Member

State:
    byron (macon area)georgia
    TOBO is looking clear or should I say normal to me... Cats are biting less than fair buy the crappie are biting really good... We will see:eek:oooh:

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    the lake i fish usually turns by now but hasnt , the bite is slow when should be great .

16. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
  17. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Lake lanier has started I was in a few creek arms yesterday and the muck is starting to surface but the fish were still biting pretty good late in the day with the topwater action action being red hot.

18. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    That's very good info Terry. Thanks. :tounge_out:

19. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    is it still nasty over there on westpoint paul? im going fishing on Tue. just wondering if it's all done, or how long it takes?

20. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    Went to Island Creek on Sinclair Fri. afternoon...When the breeze finally died (the bite already had !!! ) the goo started rafting up...