Fall Turn over affects on Catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by slowjamcdub, Oct 28, 2008.

1. slowjamcdub

slowjamcdub New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hi to all my catishing brothers, this is my first year really getting into and doing a lot of fishing and im hooked!!! but the last week we havent had much luck, and I was talkin to an old man who has been fishing his whole life and he said the reason that we havent been getting any fish is because of the FALL TURNOVER. And of corse I have never heard of that be4 so I looked it up online, some say its a great time to fish and some say its the WORST TIME TO FISH, SO I want to know from some real fishing people that have fished the TURNOVER be4 and really knows whats up. HELP!!!!!:eek:oooh:

2. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome to the BOC Chris! I am still learning alot, this is a great group. My understanding is the turning over of the warmer water to the shallows and the cooler water deeper. I am sure some guys in your area have a good definition. Good Luck fishing!

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the BOC Chris the lake i fish sucks during fall turn over so my catfishing season ends in sept. i have been going to a different lake duing some trout fishing . other then that i will be waiting till spring .

4. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Chris.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    What he is talking about is the turn over of the thermocline .....this is when the water isn't separated by temperatures, it becomes mixed. Google it to get more info on it .... there is a lot to learn. There is no reason to worry about it. When it flips you will have a week or so of harder fishing after that's its all good .

When it flips its good because the bait doesn't have to stay in a certain water depth to survive any more . In turn the bait can go shallower than during the summer. Blues etc will now frequent the shallows this time of year a gorge themselves before they move to deeper winter holes .

If you learn the thermocline in your waters you will defiantly increase your catches and have the edge of people that don't understand it or don't even fish it .

Hope this helps ya some .

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris Welcome to the BOC. I look forward to reading your post.:0a22::0a25::0a25:

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Oh and the thermocline flips ( water mixes )first in the shallow area and moves towards the deeper.

My lake takes around a month and a half to completely flip. I would think most U.S. water systems are done or close to being flipped .

As a Striper fisherman also , I had to learn it or catch no fish during summer.

9. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Off icial welcomes Chris. Enjoy it

10. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    The fall bite in the lakes i fish have slowed down also! Try fishing deeper water and also downsize your baits! I fish from the bank so its harder to reach the deeper water try fishing points, under bridges or anywhere you can reach the deeper water! I fish with alot of live bait for channels during the spring and summer but i switch to fresh cut shad or gills in fall and winter! They seem to be more timid in taking bait this time of year! Hope this helps!

11. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    WELCOME TO THE BOC GREAT PEOPLE HERE TONS OF GOOD INFO