Fall time flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Outdoor Articles' started by catfishrollo, Oct 12, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As the leaves turn and start falling, we all start thinking of other things besides fishing. Well, atleast some of us:wink:.lol. Fall can bring some of the best flathead action on the year. As outside temperatures drop, so does the water temperature. Baitfish will move from the shallow riffles to deeper water, with this, the flatheads will soon follow them. the first step to understanding the transition period... is understanding water temperatures. and movements. This is the main key!!! Unlike spring when we all wait for the water temps to break the mid 60's to get to 70-75 degree range, which has been proven for hot flathead action! We hear nothing much about action being good when it is still in the 50's to 60's sometimes in the fall..why is that? humnnn....?? Maybe they are semi-dormant due to cold water conditions after all winter!!! Takes them awhile to get going! In the fall they are slower to quit there summer habits! The second step is understanding areas well... I know I have talked scouting, scouting, scouting, seeing your water 12 months a year! This is where this comes back in!!!! Those who know their areas this well, and numerous stretches of river, probably have the upper hand when catching now! Especially late in the year. Not all deep holes are good wintering holes, which these flatheads look to find for the cool water months... I have fished many different holes late in the year. I believe well- defined deep holes for a section of river are good. Holding flats during the winter, and you can catch a few in them, but the holes I'm talking about are truely wintering holes!!! They hold numbers of flatheads. Some of these holes many not even be the deepest, baddest of them, but have certain characteristics that make them better. I could go into more detail, but why would i want to make it easy for you? lol Maybe you will just try, and freeze your butt off like I have!!:big_smile: Anyways, once you find these spots guard them like no other. I will say you can put a hurting on your area if you find them in wintering spots. If you hit it right it is not uncommon to catch large numbers of fish in a days time or night! The third and final step I would like to give is bait selection, if bait selection has ever been so important it is now!. I'm a true believer that if it is indigenous to the area, lively, size sometimes matters maybe.. lol.. but, gill, goldfish, chubs. etc. doesn't have much influence on whether they will eat it or not! I have caught 20-30 lb fish on small and big baits of a variety of species! However, as the water temps. change, so do their metabolisms.. I have found smaller baits work better, and even cuts! My preference when they start hole'in up is... creek chubs!! Just my opinion though!:wink: So, remember....don't quit cause you think they are done for the year, you have to go to catch 'em ! Figure out how they migrate and act in different water temps. Big difference between summer spots to the wintering spots sometimes!! Scout and fish many different areas and holes especially later in the year and try them slender baits late in the season... I could give more, but what fun would that be for you? After all, the most satisfying things in life are those that are discovered by ourselves!! goodluck.....rollo