Fall time flathead catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catfishrollo, Oct 12, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As the leaves turn and start falling, we all start thinking of other things besides fishing. Well, atleast some of us:wink:.lol. fall can bring some of the best flathead action on the year. as outside temperatures drop, so does the water temps. baitfish will move from the shallow riffles to deeper water, with this, the flatheads will soon follow them. the first step to understanding the transition period... is understanding water temperatures. and movements. this is the main key!!! unlike spring when we all wait for the water temps to break the mid 60's to get to 70-75 degree range. which has been proven for hot flathead action! we hear nothing much about action being good when it is still in the 50's to 60's sometimes in the fall..why is that? humnnn....?? maybe they are semi-dormant due to cold water conditions after all winter!!! takes them awhile to get going! in the fall they are slower to quit there summer habits! the second step is understanding areas well... i know i have talked scouting, scouting, scouting, seeing your water 12 months a year! this is were this comes back in!!!! those who know their areas this well, and numerous stretches of river, probably have the upper hand when catching now! esp. late in the year. not all deep holes are good wintering holes, which these flatheads look to find for the cool water months... i have fished many different holes late in the year, i believe well- defined deep, holes for a section of river are good. holding flats during the winter, and you can catch a few in them, but the holes im talking about are truely wintering holes!!! they hold numbers of flatheads, some of these holes many not even be the deepest baddest of them, but have certain characteristics that make them better. i could go into more detail, but why would i want to make it easy for you? lol maybe you will just try, and freeze your butt off like i have!!:big_smile: anyways, once you find these spots guard them like no other. i will say you can put a hurting on your area if you find them in wintering spots, if you hit it right it is not uncommon to catch large numbers of fish in a days time or night! the third and final step i would like to give is bait selection, if bait selection has ever been soo important it is now!. i'm a true believer that if it is indigenous to the area, lively, size sometimes matters maybe.. lol.. but, gill, goldfish, chubs. etc. doesn't have much influence on whether they will eat it or not! i have caught 20-30 fish on small and big baits of a variety of species! however, as the water temps. change, so do their metabolisms.. i have found smaller baits work better, and even cuts! my preference when they start hole'in up is... creek chubs!! just my opinion though!:wink: so, remember....don't quit cause you think they are done for the year, you have to go to catch 'em ! figure out how they migrate and act in different water temps. big difference between summer spots to the wintering spots sometimes!! scout and fish many different areas and holes esp. later in the yr. and try them slender baits late in the season... i could give more, but what fun would that be for you? after all, the most satisfying things in life are those that are discovered by ourselves!! goodluck.....rollo

2. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks
    i will be out there there frezzing my but off ,using alot of the things you have allready had luck with.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    just watch out for bridge piers and other boats..lmao still!!! goodluck in the tourney tonight. wish i could fish it..rollo

4. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have been fishing some new spots in the river since it has been starting this cold period. i fisheda 4-5 inch creek chub in the same hole i had a lively nice size warmouth in. i would get runs on the creekchubs before they weould even think about touching the warmouth. I know earlier in the season my favorite bait was the warmouth couldn't get enough of the to take. thanks for the info is that post. hopefully i can put it to use tonight and land me a fish

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    warmouth is a fav. and small warmouth may work fo a while, but my preference late is more slender baits easy for them to swallow.. i really believe they want to feed feed feed, even to the point of being full!!! smaller slender baits and cuts have been hot for me late in the month of october and even caught them up till christmas, depending on the weather.. goodluck..rollo

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Great post Rollo, it is definatley interesting when you start paying more attention how these fish move around. My PB last night was taken in 51ft of water, couldn't get much action at that depth earlier in the year.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sorry, i wrote 20-30 fish... i meant 20-30 pound fish.. we have had some great nights, but not 30 flats in one night!!!! sorry...rollo

8. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    yeap catfishrollo was right.
    tryed the deep holes all night with chubs
    todd and idid good .
    5 flathead and one channel cat .
    all were under 6 pounds.
    the night was getting cooler the later it got .was out till 100 !?
    had to get back to weigh in.
    todd an i won frist out of 4 teams!!!!!

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im glad you guys had a good night. and i could help.. wish i could have fished myself..too many other obligations. maybe we can meet up before the end of the yr. randy...rollo

10. crazy cathunter

crazy cathunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    As for me I never keep flathead! When i am meat fishing i only keep channels 8 pounds and less thats it! If i hook a flatty it goes back in, no matter what its weight is! We have a responsibility to the next generation to preserve the catfish population so our sons and daughters have the chance of landing a 20 pound cat! I look at some of the pics guys put on here and wonder, how many of these fish are released? I myself went through a period in my life when if i landed that monster, its head went on a fence post! MY TROPHY! I cut my own throat by doing that! Big Fish breed Big Fish!! We all know any cat over 10 pounds aint worth eating, they taste to strong,so why kill them? The thrill is in the fight! Lets preserve our big cats, after all it may end up being your biggest cat, and we all know, the thrill you get landing that hog, pictures just dont give it justice! Just my opinion. IF it has scales its bait! B.O.C. forever!

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    There are alot of us on here that practice CPR. All flats I catch go back in the river. Anything else I catch is bait lol.

12. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Hey man, I really enjoyed the post. Thanks

13. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great thread rollo, keep em coming brother!

14. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    My fiance says (sarcastically) "thanks" because you've officially kept me from hanging my rods up for the year. I'm gonna go find me that hole!

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    went out today... caught an 8 pound flat around 2 pm then headed back to pick up skip and his buddy jim.. we caught 3 more before dark, jim landed his pb. of 10 pounds.. as skip had a bigun hooked that busted off later! he caught a nice channel after that... jim hasen't been fishing for yrs. and that 10 pound fish was a best for him.. congrats jim.. glad to meet up and get to fish. they are making there fall time movements...go fishin!!!!..rollo

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    a few pics of small ones!!....rollo

Attached Files:

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    congrats jim on the fish.. nice to meet you...rollo

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Great thread Jason!'

You sound like Professor Catfishrollo.

19. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    just wondering how you do in the daytime in these wintering holes? the nighttime bite has been great for the past couple of weeks for me. best night so far had been 17 flats here this year. i have caught 37 in one night before though a couple years ago. all mine get cpr. i havent messed with them in the daytime too much so if any of you fellows have i would be interested in hearing about it. seems they shut down on me a hour or so after day light. i know where two wintering holes are in two differnt lakes and both require differnt baits but they on the same river system. great post also. i dont worry about the flats here in the spring so much but i wont let the fall bite get past me. i honestly think you catch one over a 100 ft deep but 60 ft is my deepest so far. our water temps have dropped pretty fast in the last week or so and the bite seems to be slowing way down now. they still should be feeding at 65 degrees but the temp dropped from 72 to 65 in less than a week here. slowed them down. also would like to hear about anyone catching flats from wintering holes on lures.

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i like fishing the wintering holes in the day sometimes only staying an hour or so after dark. i haven't had the luck you are talking about. the most i have caught in a days time with another buddy is 21 flats.. and have had numerous 10-15 fish outtings. i do agree on the bait selections though. creek chubs seem to be the best late in the yr. or any other small slender baits like little small mouth. cutbaits work great also. i have never targeted them on lures..YET! but, gonna try soon. also gonna do some vertical jigging when things really slow....rollo