Fall stripers

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by jerseycat9, Oct 13, 2006.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Anyone been out hittin the jetties or beaches lately. Or even you southern boys with your landlocked brand. This is the time of year.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Delaware bay is showin signs of life. Was down at the maurice river this past weekend and heard some good reports. Fresh bunker bein the ticket. LOL!

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Yeah Im gonna have to go chunkin soon

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I am stuck fishing for them here at Pickwick dam on the Tn river. They will average 10+ per fish. But most times you can catch them until you give out.
    Pete

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Imma probably head to the chesapeak bay and cape hatteras sometime soon to try surf fishing for stripers. Only caught one by doing that but man that was fun. You have to be careful with this saltwater stuff because it sure is addictive. Too bad i have to travel at least 5hr to get to the coast from here, but i make that trip 6-8 time per year.

Wheelmobile07

6. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I have fished the south shore of LI this past fall for stripers. Seems like it has been good for the last few weeks (off/on).

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    was out for three hours tonight. Cold wind west coming straight in off ocean. Only 1 hook up got off in the surf not a verey good night for fishing.

8. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    The water temp is still above the 50 degree mark, which should be good. There are signs of bait and a sizable lot of schoolies. You do hear reports of the bigger boys still around.

9. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    We are catching them by the 100's in AZ, all on top water, and shad cranks. Most are on the small side with a couple in the 79 lb range if you can still with it long enough. It sicks taking them small ones off those treble hooks!!!

10. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Got out on my birthday out at Sandy hook but it was slow to say the least

11. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    There have been a few showing up off of Ocracoke in the past couple of days. I'm hoping this is a better year, and that I can get out there and have a serious shot at getting my first decent striper! Last year there were maybe a handfull caught down this way, and then nothing all winter.

12. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Last year they remained off the coast of new jersey all winter they never left. But They are thinning out up here at the moment. But inorder for the stocks to rebound in size and numbers states such as N.C. and other wintering states need to update there restrictions on size and limits that can be kept. I hope something can be done before they turn into a rare catch from the beaches like they were for many years

13. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I don't know if size is so much of an issue as numbers. The guys who catch them from shore almost always catch fish only over 20lbs.! The new state record was caught from Haterras last year, but you could just about count how many stripers were caught on your hands. The guys fishing from boat seem to catch some smaller ones.

I've got a buddy that grew up in Jersey, and he noticed something quite different about the fish after they get down here. For a fish of equal length, the fish weighs nearly double. I figure it has something to do with them feeding up for winter and preparing for spawning runs up that way toward spring.

14. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    The stripers are down here in N.C. now. They have been at the cape lookout shoals for the last couple days and at dead tree hole by the morehead city inlet. They caught some 40+ lb fish there on monday and tuesday. I will post more when I hear how they did today.