Fall stradegy

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Scott Daw, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Ok, its fall and hunting season is starting here in PA. If Im fortunate, I'll tag out and dust off a rod. In a man made lake/reservoir, what do you look for in the fall to find the channel cats? I have a topo map of the lake and will be fishing from shore. I wont take the canoe out when the temps drop.

2. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I look for the first decent dropoff. It doesn't have to be more than 3 or 4 feet. With the water temps cooling, the channels will hang around the drop and come shallow in the evening. You no longer have to look for those super deep holes that they were holding in during the summer months. If you begin fishing the dropoff you can catch them there and while they are on their way in to more shallow water. At least, that was my plan for last year and it seemed to be effective.

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    :0a23: fall fishing is the best. In illinois it really picks up around Oct. If your fishing a res,check were the shad migrate to in the fall. They usally run towards the river or current section of a res. The bait stackes-up there for about two months. The cats are in that area also. From big blues to gaint flats.