fall season

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by missouri cat hunter, Aug 15, 2009.

1. missouri cat hunter

missouri cat hunter New Member

State:
    missouri
    Is anyone else as excited as i am about the fall and winter season wen u start hooking into the monster blue cats i cant wait

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I would say there is a bit of anticipation in the air, but where we are (on the deep end of the lake) it is a bit harder to find them. I can consistently mark 60 to 90 feet of water around the 5MM, I ended up buying a 997c SI Humminbird to help find them but haven't learned to use it proficiently at this time. We turned to crappie fishing and have caught several nice catfish while crappie fishing and now I'm going to start dragging a cut shad behind the boat suspended by a bobber. I've done this while drifting coves and it should work while we are slowly fishing shoreline. Here's how we do it... buy a billyboy bobber, get the big one about 7" long and an inch diameter, put on your line the slip bobber knot and beads that come with the bobber. So, on your line you have in this order, adjustable depth knot (with tails trimmed), small bead, large bead, billyboy bobber. About 6 feet from the end of your line (below the bobber)take about 10" of line and double it back to form a 10" loop. Take this 10" tail and tie it into a regular old granny knot on itself so you have a 10" loop. 4' below this loop tie on a swivel and then the hook of choice, circle hooks work great if your not going to pay good attention to your rods. Now, that 10" loop, take a sinker that has a brass loop on the end of it and slip the end of the line loop through that brass circle and put the sinker through that loop and pull it to tighten. Wet the depth knot before moving and then set it to what the depth of water you will be drifting over. When you reel up, the knot will go into your reel and you can reel right up to your sinker letting you fish any depth of water you want. If this doesn't make sense to you send me your email and I'll take some pictures of it and it will get clear to you then. Couple things to remember... slip depth knot has to be tight enough the weight of the sinker and bait doesn't move it on the line; sinker should be as heavy as possible without pulling the bobber competely under water when drifting, bobber should have 2 to 3 inches out of the water; use a heavy duty ball bearing swivel, if you don't you will wish you had. The idea is that the weight of the sinker will keep the bobber from being pulled down the line therefore raising your bait. Once you figure out what weight and speed to use it will all come together for you.

3. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    That is my favorite time of the year to fish. Hope it gets here quick.

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    You might want to check into one of the Sponsors here Wild Wolf Products. They have the Best Floats for drifting or still fishing I have seen or used yet.

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I would agree with the floats from Wolf River, have several and they work great also. Billyboys might be better for drifting because of their skinny size they cut through the water nicely, but I do love my "wolfs" with a lighted stick at night it's just about heaven. I really like anchoring and throwing out several wolfs with their 8" green lighted sticks and then just sit back and wait. I have some of their light sticks that are 2 years old and still light up every time.