FALL RIVER, Southeast KS

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by bigd4xman, Aug 2, 2009.

1. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Fall river spillway is looking to be very promising this year. Went earlier tonight and about 10 minutes after throwin in a salty I had a fish on. However I'm having bad luck with them getting off at the last second no matter what hook I use. He was a channel, got close enough to see that, and around 18-22 inches long. Anyhow, anyone know some good spots on Fall River below the spillway that have some cover to fish? It was bite after bite all evening, think I need to switch up to some smaller bait, because they were pretty light bites even on medium weight rods.

2. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    FALL RIVER HAS SOME GREAT CHANNEL FISHING, I HAVE CAUGHT THEN UP THE RIVER ABOVE THE LAKE BUT NEVER DONE WELL AT THE SPILLWAY. IN THE FALL IF YOU HAVE ACESS TO A BOAT THE FLATS UP THE LAKE WERE THE RIVER COMES IN CAN BE REAL GOOD, PUT SOME STINK BAIT BY ANY SNAG OR LOG AND YOU WILL GET BIT, I ALWAYS TRY TO FISH THE WINDY SIDE

3. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My uncle used to be the mayor of Eureka and before he passed away we used to fish below the low water bridge and did very well. The land belonged to the city back then but if you have a small boat and the water is up you could put in there and go downstream. Dont know what it looks like now as it was 15+ years ago. Good luck!!

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Here is the Eureka dam and the dam at Fredonia.

Attached Files:

5. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    I've fished the dam ant Eureka a little bit, and downstream of that, never fished the dam at Fredonia. Sounds like I need to get my hands on a boat, missing out on some good fishing in flats and such without one.

6. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Theres another dam between Fredonia and Neodesha called Dunns dam thats good.

7. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    A couple of other good places on fall river is above the Climax bridge and Twin falls crossing above the lake.

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    With a name like Climax Bridge, it HAS to be good.:smile2::smile2:

9. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Thanks for the info Ray, appreciate it, haven't fished Fall River alot but after hooking into and losing a good fish at the spillway the other day, it makes me want to go even more.
    GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN FISHIN'!!!:cool2:

10. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Fall river is all public land above the lake all the way to 99 hiway.

11. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The stretch between the low water bridge and the dam used to be sweet. A couple of shallows, lots of log piles, bridge pillars, and it was DEEP in places. Might still be a good spot if you can get ahold of a boat.

12. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Really been considering picking up a Kayak on one of my trips to wichita, those little things can go anywhere and don't need numbers in KS, I want something that can go through the shallows and riffles without getting hung and tore up really bad. Thanks again guys.
    GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN FISHIN' !!!:cool2:

13. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    A Kayak? Humm wish I had thought of that....lol. If you need any info let me know! ATV of the boat world.

14. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Thanks Alan, I'll keep that in mind if I can get my fiancee' talked into it.

15. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Two gates open at the spillway on Fall River Lake. Heading out later on to try Toronto Lake spillway and Fall River Lake spillway since they are both set about right to be catchin fish.
    GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN FISHIN'!!!:cool2:

16. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Fishing went well, caught one around 8 pounds and several others that got away thanks to my wifes rod and reel. Heading back tomorrow probably as we have found the deep hole below the riffles while I was wading today. ALMOST went for a swim, had to back up REAL quick, the bottom dropped off at least two feet in less than a step.:crazy:

17. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    You can avoid these thrilling experiences when wading if you sorta shuffle
    your feet slowly instead of the long, confident strides that you take on land.
    Try to feel your way through the soles of your feet and ask yourself questions
    like, "Is this mud or sand? Can I feel some gravel there?". Underwater
    mapping done old school. Wading staffs are not just for old folks, yknow?

18. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    One thing I like to do is wade upstream and float my bait back down while reeling in slack.Dont mess up hole before you fish it.

19. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Thats what I was doing, slowly working my way downstream because there were a couple decent holes before the really deep one, I knew it would get deep because everyone told me there was deep water down ther I just didn't realize how fast it would get deep. I tried this with a bottom rig at first and then with a large Cigar Float.

Katatonik, thanks for the tip on the wading staff, no one around here seems to use anything like that and I hadn't even thought of it. Instead of shuffling my feet I usually slide my feet along the bottom one a little ahead of the other, but with the current I was in it got me in trouble yesterday, so I'll keep in mind shuffle not slide. Where I was wading was pretty much all small gravel with a little mud til I got to the dropoff then it got real loose and sandy feeling.

20. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Sometimes its good to drift your cast downstream into the water you've
    just "messed up". An eater or two might be nosing around looking for
    another nymph or little crawdad that you kicked up for him. Sorta chummin
    with your feet. The bigger fellas are usually upstream in the center of that
    big hole or the snags. Always seemed to be better to sneak in on them
    by wading upstream, but on reflection catfish aint trout. Catfish aren't
    afraid of your silly ass, monkeyboy. Especially on a creek that folks don't
    use like a highway. Loud noises, train going over the bridge will sometimes
    get them nervous but after a few minutes they will be out poking around
    again. In busy water, they will move again when it quiets down predawn.