Fall Protection?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by perrycounty.in, Oct 3, 2009.

Do you use Fall Protection in a stand?

1. I wear fall protection in a stand-YES

2. I don't wear fall protection in a stand-NO

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was wondering with all the new fall protection systems out these days, how many of you have started to use them religiously. I got a Hunters Saftey System 3 years ago and at first i was skeptical of useing it. After looking at how simple it is and really comfortible compared to the older systems I don't go up a tree without it. During bow season i climb anyware from 25' -35' and let me tell you with this system on i feel like im doing the right thing for myself and my family. I had a buddy a few years back die from a fall and i just think i owe it to my family to take advantage of any system on the market that might save your life.
    Stay safe this deer season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I use a seat-of-the-pants harness. I also bought each of my sons the
    same harness. I think a harness may be the most important piece of
    equipment for your hunt if you hunt from tree stands. A local writer
    once said in his column that there are three type of tree stand hunters
    those that have fell, those that have almost fell, and those that will fall
    in the future.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I replaced the rotting ladder for my (permanent) stand,, does that count?

I don't see how you folks can hunt from those tiny-weenie bird perches.
    I am not known for doing things in the safest ways, but even I will not go there.

4. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Oh yeah buddy, you better believe I use a fall (harness) protection. It is so much safer when I fall asleep too...:smile2:

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I should wear one, but i do not 90 % of the time. And I have fallen out of a few tree stands, so i should really wear one, but I walked away both times. I might start to wear it this year. Thanks for making me think about it. It sure is a good idea.

6. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i have one but do not use it :confused2: not to smart

7. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I always used a harness when I was up on my stand. Two years ago while taking down my ladder stand it slipped off the tree. I fell about 20 feet and sustained a compression fracture of my T-ll vertibrae along with 1 bulged and 1 torn disk. I managed to get myself out of the woods, climb onto my tractor and drive home a half mile across a frozen, plowed field. Don't think for a moment that I'm that tough. I was in shock.

I was very fortunate. A friend of mine fell out of his stand two years earlier and broke his neck. He has been paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair ever since.

We all like to make our own mistakes but please learn from mine. If you're up in a tree stand wear your harness. Read the instructions that come with your stand and then follow them. It can save you a lot of grief.

It just goes to show that nobody is completely worthless. You can always serve as a bad example. :big_smile:

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Buck I hope your back is better now.
    We had a 26 year old father of 2 small children to die 2 yrs. ago when his
    stand broke as he was climbing up the tree. A freind of mine went to church
    with this family and told me it was the saddest thing he ever saw.
    I think people have the wrong mind set. That the only way you can fall
    is if you are careless or go to sleep.
    Have you noticed tree stand manufactors have started putting harness'es
    in with a new stand. The free harness is not the best but the companies
    are trying to stop some libility.
    There are 1000's of tree stands built and sometimes a flawed one gets out.
    Bad welds, weak pins, cables not crimped properly.
    You could be doing nothing wrong and your stand come out from under
    you like the trap door on a gallows.
    If you have old stands, inspect them every year. Look for cracks in the
    metal and welds, replace any bad bolts with a grade 8 not the soft steel
    bolts. Replace any frayed or worn cables.
    Please get yourself a good harness. Once you get in the habit of useing
    it you feel naked with out it. Be safe guys.

9. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I try to but sometimes I forget to load it in my pack.I just use the freebie that comes with the newer summits.I keep planning on buying a good vest style but I haven't yet.They look like the setup is fast and simple.

10. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    I use one every time I get in the stand - II use a summit 180 climber and I don't start up the tree till it's attached -I've never had it happen but I could see how you might miss a shot oppurtunity due to the teather getting in the way but I'd rather miss a shot then fall! I would like to start hanging some permanent stands with ladder sticks but I haven't due to the fact I cant see how you'd stay attatched to the tree from the time you start climbing till the time you come down - I guess I could use one teather to climb and have one already above my stand - any thoughts?

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I won't hunt without one period. If i forget it, i'll go back to the truck. Won't hunt from wood stands anymore either. I use to climb old wood stands that wasn't safe to build a camp fire with, not anymore. Tannic acid has a way of eating up nails and screws rather quickly.
    I had a ladder kick out from under me 2 weeks ago at work that left me dangling from the gutter.:confused2: Never fell in my life before that,,,but the chances are greater than not it'll happen again. Be safe and good luck this fall.

12. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I think that if you don't have fall protection it is just a matter of time for some to go wrong.

13. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Some guys I know use a lineman's belt setup. They don't use their hands on the ladder, just their feet. They're a little creepy to use at first because you are leaning back away from the tree which takes some getting used to. Should you slip off the climbing sticks the belt will keep you from going into a free fall although you will probably get a little barked up when you hit the tree. There is also a climbing tether that works kind of like a seatbelt. It pays out slack as you go down but if you fall it locks up and holds you. They also will retract as you climb and function the same way in a fall. I think that both are available through BPS and Cabela's.

14. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    "Buck I hope your back is better now."

Thank you for your concern. The purpose of my post wasn't to garner sympathy but to try to save someone else some pain.

In answer to your question, the damage to my back is not correctable. To make matters worse I have developed Osteoarthritis in my spine. I take steroid shots a couple of times a year and have gone through physical therapy. Between the two I can stand straight and the pain is manageable. I can only sleep in a bed for about 3 hours comfortably so for the last two years I've been sleeping in my recliner. I do my physical therapy excercises religiously. My goal is to be able to ride my mule again before we both get too old.

I've been a volunteer hunter safety instructor since '85 and knew better than to not use a safety strap to hold the stand against the tree when I popped the latch. When I released that latch the stand sprang to the left and launched me. My excuse at the time was that we had a -15 wind chill and I was in a hurry to get out of the wind. I should have practiced what I preach to the kids.

You always think that accidents only happen to the other guy. Well, shake hands with the other guy. You never know when it will be your turn to be other guy. Simply use the safety instructions that came with your stand, use your common sense and always use that safety harness.

15. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I am just going to say this and I know it will make a couple of people mad. But if you do not use some type of fall protection you are just plain dumb.

16. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've heard of far too many accidents not to wear one. Some that they have now days are comfortable and won't restrict movement.

17. Fletchhunter

Fletchhunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Several years back on opening day I was on my way to my woods about 30 miles away, half way there I noticed that I forgot my harness, I turned around and went back to my house to get it. If you fall out of a stand chances are you don't get a second chance to get in another one ever. The harness is not very comfortable when bowhunting, but I will not hunt without at least a strap

18. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I think eveyone should use fall protection of some sort. But something that I think is over looked a lot is tree stand maintenance and proper use of the tree stand. I do not know how many times I have heard that someone fell through a board on the tree stand. Or Have seen rusted or broken rivets on newer tree stands.
    I will tell a little on myself I did not for the longest tie my top platform to my bottom platform while using my climber treestand. On Day while Bow hunting around dark my hunting partner came by and ask if I was ready to go. Some how I kicked my bottom platform and it went clear down to the ground So there I sat 25 feet up a tree with no way down. So know I always tie them togather. If He was not there I would still be in that tree.
    But a little common sense and some preventive maintenance will go ALONG way.

19. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I had a pretty cheap one in the bag with the straps, but last year I brought along my safety harness. I put the stand up, but didn't use it. Maybe this year I will put it up and use it, with a good body harness. Its a lot stronger than the one that came with the stand. I don't put it up too high, but I'm getting old and stiff so I don't heal up so fast no more.

The bad thing is once it happens its too late to do it over.

20. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I voted "NO" but my climbing stand has a built in rail. Even so, I tie the stand to the tree when I get in it. Since I'm giving up bow hunting, I do most of my hunting from the ground these days.