fall jugging

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ccat, Aug 21, 2008.

1. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    With fall coming up soon, I would appreciate some advice on big lake jugging. Big lake being Beaver and Greers Ferry sized lakes. I got into this catfishing late last November, and can't get enough of it, but didn't fish/jug in the early fall. Do I need to just start fishing shallow again and move to the backs of the pockets and creeks? I know I need to follow the shad which will start showing up soon when the water cools. Where will the catfish start showing up first from their deeper holes? Points, pockets, coves, flats...? How about bait? Keep with shad/bream?
    I will take any advice a person can give.
    PS. This catfishing is starting to dominate me so much, I am considering selling my new Ranger bass boat for an aluminum boat I can beat up a little if I need to. It sure is hard to run trotlines and jugs and try to keep that boat showroom new.
    Good luck,
    ccat

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I haven't catfished big lakes or clear lakes that much. And I haven't done any winter jugfishing. But I keep intending to; maybe this year I'll do it. I'll be watching this thread with a lot of interest.

3. CntryCrazy

CntryCrazy New Member

State:
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    I'm like Jerry on this. Never fished big lakes but small lakes, oh yeah!. Been jug fishing with a friend who is on here named Chrisb in Iraq now. Anyway we always put the jugs around the edge of the channel and let them drift in according to the wind direction. As for bait, anything that releases scent to them. Shad guts or weiners or minnows. Have caught some nice ones that way and even crappie too. Good luck with it

4. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I will post after next Saturday night (Oct 20). I'll be heading to Beaver Lake and will jug the blue springs down to War Eagle Marina. I have heard a few reports of catfish being caught on Beaver. I never pay much attention to the newspaper reports, but have talked to a few people who have caught several small fish.
    Hopefully after this predicted rain from Ike, the lakes/rivers will settle down and the fishing can get good.
    Good luck to you all,
    ccat

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have 3 dozen of those Wal-Mart noodles that I need to put out.

6. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    SHHHHHHHHHHHH Top, don't let Gene hear you say that!!!!! :eek:oooh:

Need to get some jugging in myself!!! I got a dozen of gene's jugs that need put out!:roll_eyes:

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Newt, I had these jugs for a longtime way before Gene was selling them!

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    take some one with you top.in ar your only allowed 20 jugs per person.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Maybe I'm getting old but a dozen is about all I can handle:tounge_out:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Henery I agree with you on this one. Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Do not get me wrong, I do not put out 3 dz of noodles, I have that many! It is hard to keep up with just 5 each in a current.

12. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Top- how is the jugging there at the Nuclar plant? If myself and the wife do not make it to pickwick, then we may go over to Tar camp and check it out some more or possibly up there to the Nuclar plant. If we come up there then we will let you know. As I still have a sign and a degray shirt to get to you! Was just curious on the jugs. If we come this weekend then probably be just a day trip to Bank Fish!!

13. chrisb

chrisb New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    i have fished a few big lakes like ouachita and beaver and i always started shallow in the fall but if i didnt do any good in a couple of hours i moved deeper. and brim are what i use fo bait

14. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    The Jugs at the Nuclear plant is very good in the Spring and is ok in the winter. That fish in Gardenhawk Avatar was caught in the winter at the Plant, I took the Picture. That fish weighed just under 20 pounds

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Newt, when we lived up in Atkins, I jugged the outlet cove at the nuclear plant every spring and fall. Jugging is generally good to excellent there. For me, the main consideration is the temperature of the there's a big flat right out from the launching ramp area, and I try to avoid the half of it closest to land; the outer half can produce some fish, though. And for any bank fishermen, that area is too far out to reach from shore. :embarassed: IMO, about the only decent spot to bankfish from in that area is just to the left (main lake side) of the launching ramp, casting at an angle to the left (toward the main lake). For those who don't already know, the launching ramp is built right where the old road used to cross the cove, back before the lake was built. If you look carefully, you can still see the open area on the other side where the road used to run. That's a shallower area, which is why the water's so shallow there at the ramp.

16. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I am jugging Beaver this Saturday night. Going to take the sleeping bag out in the boat and enjoy the cool weather we have been having at night.
    I will start shallow on a flat where we'll be jugging, but will put a few jugs around the channel and on the bluffs.
    I started all this catfishing, which I am hooked big time on now, last November. I did catch several small channels on jugs and a few flat head. Never caught any blues on Beaver back then.
    QUESTION: Is the fall better for channels, blues, or flatheads?
    Thanks for any help. Good luck.
    ccat

17. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Chris, I think they all start stuffing themselves in the fall.

18. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I hope so Smelly, but last night was a bust. I hope it was because of the recent rains and rising water and not an indication of what's to come.
    Beaver lake is way back up. At least the mud line has passed and is apparently starting to clear up.
    We set out jugs just at sunset about a mile up the war eagle arm of Beaver lake. Set them all with shad. We netted plenty of shad. They are everywhere up there now.
    Set jugs on a 10-16 foot flat and others just off a channel bank in about 26 foot of water.
    Only caught gar last night. We bass fished for about 2 hours in a 1/2 mile section and saw nothing but gar the whole stretch. We did get into some nice sized whites (3+ pounds) and ended up catching alot of them schooling right before dark.
    I should have known the cat bite might be scarce with all those stinking gar in there.
    Oh well, like always, we took plenty to eat and had a great night sleeping out in the boat.
    We'll get them next time
    good luck to you all.
    ccat

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Wow! Really nice sized whites. I'd love to get into a school of whites right about now, even if they were just normal sized. I'd use them to make fish jerky.

20. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Jerry,
    I have students in my high school band who bring me deer jerky and elk jerky, but never white bass jerky. Do you prep it and make it the same way as beef/deer?
    Those whites were big. There were hundreds of them in a lot of schools. It looked like the spring on Greers Ferry. My buddy was fishing a spook and never had a hit, but my rattle trap did the trick.
    Too bad those cats didn't hit those jugs I set out like the white bass were hitting.
    ccat