Fall is starting to show in the trees.

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Cheryl, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    You can't tell it by the temperature here but you can from looking at the trees and shrubs. Reds, yellows, are starting. I heard the katydids and it should frost here about mid Sept., if they hold true to the old wives tale.

Soon all the fresh, local veggies and fruits will be gone. Just had strawberries tonight. Gonna have corn on the cob, fried taters, pinto beans, italian sweet meatballs, garlic bread and fresh pink tomatoes tomorrow evening for dinner.

Some of y'all are lucky enough to live in states that have fresh fruit and veggies practically year round and then there's people like me who like to savor the last fresh meal of the summer until next year.

What would be even better would be to be camping and cooking this dinner and enjoying it with the wonderful sounds of nature. The hoot owls, whipporwills and tree frogs are some of my favorite sounds in the mountains. The whipporwills moved out years ago, due to the progress of man where I live now. Used to you could hear them when I was a child, but now only in the mountains here.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Take care.

2. We all need our moment to ramble.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am sick of this wet, and scorching hot summer we have had here in Ohio..Fall is my favorite time of the year, to be outside and to fish, it cant get here soon enough.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

I don't like the heat either but it is more bearable in the mountains or near the water. Fall is depressing but beautiful all at the same time.

Take care.
    Cheryl

5. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I noticed leaves starting to fall yesterday while I was driving in the boonies. I thought that it was weird because its too early.
    Fall is my favorite season. I like when it's just a little chilly outside and you can start a fire outside, fire up the grill or smoker and bring the tv out and watch some football on a sunday afternoon. But those times are over. I have to move to an apartment and they won't allow fires outside. Bummer.

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I am looking forward to fall the water temp in the lakes I fish is darn near 90. The heat has kept me off the lake this week. I was not catching much at all.
    When the leaves turn colors the lake is so nice to be on. It's just pretty.
    Bill

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I too have heard the katydids (cicadas) for a few weeks now here in western NC. There just isn't anything like autumn in my book. The beautiful colors, crisp air, and dropping temperatures just make my day! I get a bit of a restless feeling in fall, like something exciting is about to happen, but you don't know what it is.....guess it's old man winter getting ready to drop the bomb:big_smile:!

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tanya that isn't old man winter its probably some old man on the BOC thats going to post another "picture" of you and get everyone stirred up!!!!!:big_smile: :lol: :eek:oooh: :smile2:

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I really miss the changes of the seasons. At least the way they change back in the midwest...out here in Az, all we get is hot sand and cold sand...LOL! Good fishing though. I am hoping that as it starts to cool off a bit, the cats will pick up again.

10. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Everything is turning here too, and falling off, but it has nothing to do with fall, it is from having 0 rain, and 100+ temps the last 3 weeks.:crazy:

11. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Well for us Texans who do not have a fall or spring at that. Enjoy the different colors. We go from brown to green to brown again. But we are lucky on the fresh veges and fruits all year round.

12. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    We are seeing alot of brown here in Texas from plants drying up in this heat wave!!!

13. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Hope it rains soon for all you that need it. We could use some but have not been as unfortunate as others in that area.

Thanks to all for responding!

14. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    FALL!!! Leaves turning?? You lucky dogs!! We're still in the midst of our typical lloooonnnnggg hot summers here in Louisiana. "Fall" sometimes doesn't make an appearance til right before Thanksgiving. It is absolutely my favorite time of year. I LOVE the cool days, cold nights, comfort foods, fuzzy sweatshirts....and I love to hunt. So, I can hardly wait. Glad you guys are getting an early taste of it. Please!!!! Let me know when you get your first frost!! Just want to hear the good news, you know???

15. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I'm going out into my gardens and start the yearly cut down. I already have a large pile of oak from a limb that fell last Sat. on one of my chairs out back and busted it up.

I sure hope the garden fairies are out there to help lead my worried mind and miserable soul, today.

Take care.
    Cheryl

16. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good luck....I hope the "garden fairies" make you smile....:smile2:

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Try to keep your mind on the good things.Turn it over to the Lord.He can handle it a lot better than you can.Talking of the garden.I sure would like a good mess of "Greasy Beans and Taters" right now.I would gladly settle for "Turkey Craw".Do you put up any'Shuck Beans"?Erwin will have it;s Apple Festival before long.When I could find them,I liked some of the old "Crow Eggs"the best of all.I also miss the fishing.Do you ever catch and eat the"Horny Heads"out of the creeks in the spring?I love them too.The race crowd ought to be bout gone now.A cake of Corn bread and a pot of Soup beans seasoned with a chunk of streaked meat ought to cheer you up.I wish I could make all of the bad go away for you,but I cain;t.I can care about you,and I do.Your brother Peewee-williams

18. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This post is for the brother located in Witchita Kansas,my radar showed a day ot two ago that ya all had bad storms did it miss ya?:eek:oooh: pk powell

19. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    His family pulled up about the time I got hot and brave enough to put on my mermaid bathing suit for the first time and go into the front yard. I saw his Mom wowing as they drove by and when she got out she started hollering and of course Ryan had to come see because by that time I was hidden behind my myrtle trees of :embarassed: . Well his Mom and Dad went to take a nap and his Dad said, you wanna stay with Cheryl? He said to me, Got any water to play with? I said YEP, been playin in it myself for a while. He proceeded to the pool I had just cleaned out and I turned on the hose and let him go at it. LMAO.

He had a blast. More later and pics to go with it. Pics will be of RYAN sniffing catfish stink bait, cause he didn't know what it was. But he kept doing it. SOOOO FUNNY!

20. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I took my two kids to the local Henry Doorly Zoo today, and while we were standing next to the outdoor monkey cage, we noticed that some leaves were already turning colour and falling. The monkeys enjoyed catching them and thought they were tastey (at least they fought over them and ate them quickly).

I am able to enjoy fresh eggplant, tomatoes, green beans, and my absolute favorite, corn on the cob! I love summer the most here, but fall is always impressive when we drive through the bluffs.

There is a always a cornicopia of colour starting from September going through October. And then, there is a stretch of five months of depressing, dreaded brown.

I always look forward to the first frost, and the first snowfall. It covers all the dead brown vegetation and adds colour to landscape.

Thanks for letting me ramble!

Kenny