Fall is here, time to hunt Muskie

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by moondog58, Sep 30, 2009.

1. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I really like to hunt Muskies. They bite better once the water cools down. Time to start trolling the Monongahela River for Muskie.

Fall is the best time of year to Muskie fish, at least based on my past luck and catch. I have caught some in the spring, but the only big ones, 45 inches plus, has been in the fall, Sept, and Oct.

May try my luck this weekend, and sometime next week. Gaff hook is ready, to land the next great Muskie I catch.

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    true but you will catch more&bigger flatheads this time of year.

ex musky junkie

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome aboard on the BOC. Good luck on the Muskie.

4. festus

festus New Member

Yes, Melton Hill Lake near Oak Ridge, TN is loaded with muskies. I haven't really fished for them but have seen them swimming at least 4' long. Two good muskie rivers in my area is the Obed River and the Big South Fork of the Cumberland River. I read somewhere once that a muskie (probably small ones) only need 4' of good clean water to live in. I have seen small muskies in some really small to medium size creeks, you'd be surprised.

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    An old man here in town on the ohio river catches muskie sometimes bass fishing and i told him i wanted to try muskie so he caught another one a few weeks back and filleted it and i just grilled the muskie today...AND MAN IT IS DELICIOUS!!!!!!!! ive gotta learn how to catch the few muskies that are down here in this part of the ohio! :big_smile:

6. MOOSEMAN1955

MOOSEMAN1955 Well-Known Member

State:
    SOUTH DAKOTA
    Havent been having much luck with the cats lately but the NORTHERNS are on the rise and Walleye should be taking off with a couple more good frosts at night. Never had muskie but I am guessing they taste just like northern.

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Well, I caught one by accident last spring, a week before season opened, the guy I was with said when they get that big they ain't no good, he said the meat is all black and don' t taste good. I sure don't know, I will try to catch another next year, but probably won't. Good luck on the fishing. I'm assuming they are like northern pike, is that the way they are?

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I my self have caught quite a few muskie on the MON and some of it tributaries... fall is an excellent time to catch them probably my second favorite next to the spring just before the spawn....how ever dont forget CPR doesn't only mean catfish...truth know there are more cats then muskie, i used to gaff my muskies by placing it in their lower jaw so that i could release them, but with a gaff you more often kill a beautiful fish...just something to think about, personally i CPR almost everything, to each his own, just something to think about....

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio

when i was first getting into muskie, i hooked one in the gills and honestly since then i have a couple of times, that is when i would keep one because it would die anyway. they are very boney. if you can imagine a white meat fish but you eat them like ribs that is what a muskie is like. we grilled the ones i ate and the bone runs through the middle of the meat. like my previous post i CPR almost everything now, but if it was going to die anyway i would eat it. to each his own.