fall is getting closer and closer

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by uttatoo, Aug 20, 2008.

1. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    well i am just writing this to give my oppinion on flatheads in the fall

as the wheather and water get colder the flatheads as we all know head to deep holes and start to fead very agressivly to gain wieght or fat .

in the fall i like to go to deep holes and still fish at night around the holes in the day time the actual deep hole might due the trick
    on a river i fish we set up on a 25ft. deep hole and cast into the 10ft shallows around it or around structure
    i have caught many a flathead in deep holes in the fall and not just one but numbers of them in one outing as well
    lively bait is still the key but i have seen the smaller baits work just a little better kind of like in the spring and i have also noticed they are more agressive in the fall and just bend your rods plum in half

my question in this matter is as the water gets cold do many of you try or give up?

last year i had 3 jackets on and having the time of my life catching nice flatheads and people thought i was crazy .
    i even had a guy ask me if i was snagging them :confused2:

i told him no and he said well i cant find them or get a bite in the fall.

i believe in the fall i have the best luck second to the spring and am going to ask you flathead hunters a question .

how do you target your fall flatheads

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I love fishing in the fall for Flatheads but it usually takes a backseat to bowhunting. Sept and Oct I'm still targeting flatheads in the same places I do in the spring and summer. Now come Nov if I'm still fishing and not hunting I do shift to fishing deeper holes but I still think I do the best targeting my usual spots in Sept and Oct when flatheads are putting on the feed bag for the upcoming winter. I don't downsize my baits, in my area there's too many blues competing for the same food.

3. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've only been fishing exclusively for Flatheads since May of this year so this "rookie" has nothing to offer but I can't wait to learn about fishing for them in the Fall. Being a bank fisherman I hope I will still be able to get at them from the shore. :wink:

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Great post brother, I think you hit the nail on the head for all catfish! It is a very exciting time of year. I know that I will be fishin on 1 Jan (if I am home from Iraq) You know what they say, "whatever you do on 1 Jan is what you will do for the rest of the year!!" Sounds great to me!

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    one of the best times of the year.but,i target them still in shallower water,as they will be coming in close to feed,before the water gets too cold.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Yes fall is around the corner.

7. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I have a question, if you were stuck fishing the bank. How would you try to catch a flathead??

Live bait deep? Under a bobber?

Hard to tell where the deep holes are from the bank.

Look for cover such as logjams, snags?

I'm really wanting to get into a flathead, but for now I'm stuck on the bank, and live bait is hard on my budget.

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Bill, Id say that flathead fishin is done best from the bank. While a boat can get you to new spots, you still end up fishin close to the bank. I have caught over 50 flatheads this year on rod and reel with only one from a boat. I have 2 boats though. Gas has stopped me from using the big one and time has kept me from the small one. I mainly fish small to medium sized rivers in S Central KS. If you are allowed to catch your own bait just find a small pond and fish with a small peice if worm and you can catch all the perch you want. If you are allowed to fish more than one rod I would fish one as close to the snag as possible, where the current is really workin and fish one on a float on the nearest flat. I use a 3 way rig. Most good log jams and snags are associated with deep holes.The current is blocked by the wood and is pushed underneath, scouring out a hole. You dont need to fish really deep. But then the holes in my river are no deeper than 8 feet.

9. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I too have fished in the cold of fall and find that it is the best fishing of the year. Nighttime temps in the 40's and catching flatties in 10-13 ft. of water. Truley Awsome

10. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i fish 80% of the time on the bank and catch them regurally .
    you need to read a river as the people did before depth finders and such did .
    riffle . hole. run .
    remeber this and you will be catching them regurally.
    what make one hole better than another ?
    well structure makes or breaks a hole.
    look for log jams rocks or just something for them to get under to hide
    i dont buy bait !
    1 -i use a throw net or seign
    2-i use rod and reel and catch alot of bait this way also
    keep at it and you will be catching them :big_smile:

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    kyle have you used the motor i sold you yet?

12. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Does anyone think that they will start keeping more fish in the fall to stock up for the winter?

13. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    as for me i practice selective harvest but as for my freezer its 3/4 full of deer fish and wild hog right now and has enough left for dove and pheasant so as for me i probably wont keep to many more this year

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    In the fall, I downsize my baits, use cut bait, and fish the deepest holes in the river.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sounds like you need two freezers! :0a23:

16. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i do have two freezers but 1 is for the wife and her store bought meat and 1 is for my fresh meat like wild game ,fish or my sometimes goat or lamb meat that i sloughter every once and a while

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    See now, you're just not thinking right. Slaughtered food animals like beef, lamb, goat, etc. goes into the 'store-bought' freezer. The other freezer is just for 'wild' food. So far, the only time I've had food in my bait freezer was when a door hinge on our upright freezer broke and the chest freezer wouldn't quite hold everything. But my bait fridge generally has more food in it than bait. But no complaints are allowed about what nasty catfish bait I have in that fridge; it's for catfish bait. I only allow people food in there out of the goodness of my heart.

18. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sounds like you're all set there Gus! As for the fall Flatheads, do you think that Flatties take a preference to Live or cut baits when the water temps cool down?

19. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i have only caught 2 flatheads in the past 3 yrs with cut bait but people do catch them in the spring this way i 99% of the time use live bait

20. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Yeah same here. I actually go with a little variety when I set up. One with cut and maybe two with live bait. Almost everytime the live bait gets hit over the cut bait. I was just wondering how lazy the fish will begin to get when the water cools down.