Fall Foliage

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mickey, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    With the fall season setting in comes the changing of the foliage. What is your thoughts and where do you like to travel to see the many colors. Pics Welcome.

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    We have a little cabin up near the Smoky Mountains National Park in North Carolina. Can't wait to see some fall colors.

3. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Back when I drove OTR, I70 in PA(breezewood) and drop down on RT 522 into Maryland on into Virgina.

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
  5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Phil, I agree, Talimena Scenic Drive is excellent!

North AR and southern MO is not bad.

In spring 08 we did a road trip over TN, SC, KY all the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. It was mighty nice in the spring I bet these drives are pretty during fall colors.

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

My thoughts.....autumn is my favorite season. I've always wanted to visit New England and see the fall colors there, I'm sure it's beautiful, and I do love the Smokey Mountains of NC/TN.

However, the places I'm more familiar with and have frequented the most in my life are in the Blue Ridge Mountains. They're not far from here, and it makes a nice day trip. Don't forget the picnic lunch! :cool2:

Here are a few videos of the area I'm discussing, hope you enjoy them.

[youtubevid]Lleg2UKXJgI[/youtubevid]

[youtubevid]Xej8BiYT8IE[/youtubevid]

[youtubevid]W-lJVLXKl4Y[/youtubevid]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  7. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    The last few years I have been able to take my wife up to the Smoky Mountains. It is very nice up there once the colors start showing up. This year things have been too slow for us to manage that long trip. Since we can't make that one I might be able to talk her into a day trip up to Mena Arkansas. In years past That was where we liked to go. It is very pretty up there. Staying at the Hotel on to of the mountain and just relaxing on a cool morning. It is real nice.

8. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Tanya those videos makes me want to take a trip your direction. I have been to the Lake of the Ozarks and The Smokey Mountains during the Autumn. I have always wanted to take the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway and see the beautiful country you live in. You stated it just a short trip for you. I'm jealous.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here in New Mexico,we have a place called "the enchanted circle" It runs from Red River to Angel Fire ,Taoes,around to Red River. Very much worth the drive.:cool2:

10. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    dont know if it qualifies as fall foliage but here are some pics from my last little labor day weekend trip

Attached Files:

11. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Autumn is "hands down" my favorite time of year. I love the colors, the crisp cool air, the gorgeous blue skies. And.....I love to be in the woods! Someday I hope to make a trip up to the New England area in the fall.
    Something about autumn & the Thanksgiving holiday always brings warm feelings of family & friends...

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ma & I are going to take a riverboat cruise up the Mississippi. A non-gamblin' one. I don't consider all that green "fall foliage".:smile2:

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

The Parkway runs from The Great Smoky Mountains National Park to Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. The closest place for me to get on the Parkway is about halfway in between, near Julian Price Memorial Park. So I've been all the way north and all the way south, but one of these days I want to start at one end or the other and travel the whole length of it. The Blue Ridge Parkway isn't for people who're in a hurry, the speed limit is 45 MPH and it is enforced. Plenty of interesting little towns and attractions can be found only short drives from the Parkway. Motorcyclists love the ride and I bet that would be fun.

There are campgrounds and picnic areas available along the way, though many times you'll see a vehicle pulled over into one of the mown grassy areas on the side, a blanket thrown down, folks lying in the sun, perhaps reading a book, young couples enjoying wine and cheese. Of course there are scenic overlooks where photographers and cameras are abundant during certain times of the year, plus trails for the hiking enthusiasts and streams/rivers/lakes for the trout lovers.

Although I'm sure the mountains of NC were a wonderful experience when they were pristine (some places still are), The Blue Ridge Parkway created an avenue that most people can navigate and enjoy. We can thank FDR and The New Deal for that. :wink:

I love our mountains, can ya tell? :big_smile:

Here's some history of The Blue Ridge Parkway.

http://www.virtualblueridge.com/parkway/general/parkway.asp

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    well boys and girls The Smokys and Blue Ridge and the parkway are all beautiful for sure.I am out in Colo right now enjoying a trout fishing trip and the colors are starting to show here also.The aspen trees turn a beautiful color of yellow and gold and the oakbrush on the mountains turns fiery red and in combination with the green pines and spruces it is truly spectacular.Particularly when the mountains are 14,000 ft high.Colorado is the highest of the contigous states and has over 50 peaks above 14k.:big_smile:

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Didnt want anyone to feel inferior about their mountains if they arent 14k:big_smile::smile2::wink:

16. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jim I agree with you. Having been up in those Mountains of Colorado during a Fall Elk hunting trip,those colors were soooooo gorgeous. Makes me wish I could go again.:cool2::smile2:

17. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Dont have to go to far from home, lol. Southeast Kansas is very pretty all seasons the way I see it. But Spring and Fall are my favorites.

18. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Ok, let's keep this thread going so that once everyone gets some new pictures, we can post them, OK??

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I despise to see the leaves change. It's the lead in to the most depressing time of the year.

20. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Roxie I agree with that and I'll add a little more thought to this. Talking about the leaves changing, does anyone know the process of the fall leaf changing colors? Why a maple leaf turns bright red? Where do the yellow and oranges come from? Your thoughts.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009