FALL FLATHEADS

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by adamj, Aug 29, 2008.

1. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    WHAT IS THE LATEST YOU GUYS WILL FISH FOR FLATHEADS? MY MARK IS AROUND THAT 55 DEGREE TEMP. I'M PROBABLY GOING TO TRY SOME DEEPER HOLES THIS FALL LATER THAN I NORMALLY WOULD.

2. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Id say 60 degrees you can still catch them colder than that but the bite is not real good.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Depending on the weather and the water temps. I have fished for them clear up to Christmas before. Usually will fish them in wintering holes until the line feezes in the eyes.. then i give up on them for awhile. rollo

4. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    ive caught flatties from the Tusc river up until Thanksgiving and i usually only quit then to get ready for deer hunting !!!

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I'll have to agree with you there Rollo! Fished many times with the eyes of the pole freezing up. I'd guess that was pretty cold weather then. Never did take a water temp while I was out there tho,,,

6. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    WOW! YOU GUYS HAVE CAUGHT FLATS WHEN ITS THAT COLD???

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Im not talking about an extended period of cold weather that would drop water temps into a mid winter period. I'm talking more about water temps that are holding steady in the upper to low 50's mostly. Im saying when you start to get them cold nights down in the high 20's, when I see the eyes freezing up, i usually say thats enough after a couple of them trips, and the water temps seem to plummet quickly then also. we have had some Indian summers, and even decembers that haven't been too shabby! rollo

8. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Actually I would need to clarify my statement there adamj. When it got this cold I was actually fishing with a jig for saugeyes. Altho I have caught flatheads on the jig in this cold weather!

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jigs is a great way to catch fall and wintering flats. I try to target holes and fish them very throrough! Smaller baits seem to be better then and cuts. Trust me, you may be saugeye fishing, but if you are fishing very deep then, you will get the flats the same! rollo

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Oh yea I know, Thats why I go jigging for! Just waiting on an ole flat to hit.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I find that if we get a warm spell in december it can make for some good flathead fishing...A few years ago I caught 4 flatheads in mid december when it was snowing out, we had had a couple of warm days before that and it seemed to turn them on...Go deep with some cut bait.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Very good info here, thanks for everyones input

13. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    INTERESTING YOU GUYS HAVE POPPED FISH INTO DECEMBER. I'VE ALWAYS GIVEN UP AROUND LATE OCTOBER PARTLY BECAUSE OF OTHER FISH AND HUNTING OR OTHER ISSUES.

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I usually fish for Flatheads until about Nov. then just switch locations and tactics and go after them big bluecatfish.:cool2: