Fall flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by IrishO'Brady, Nov 9, 2006.

1. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Any reccomendation on fall flatheads? I would assume some are gonna be mixed in with the blues at 35-50 ft deep in main channel. If anybodys got any clues (fishing Chickamagua) on where to find'em Id appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Chris

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I've gathered from In-fisherman articles that blues will roam all winter following shad and herring. Flatheads and channels will congregate in wintering holes till late march early april. You might find flats and blues in the same location at times, but that will be the exception not the rule. If you find a flathead wintering hole only the largest channels will be found with them. They say channels and flats prefer different wintering areas for the most part.

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    That is because a flathead will eat all but the larger channels........:smile2:

4. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    you wouldnt happen to know what types of areas I could find a "wintering hole" at do ya?

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    They tend to be medium depth holes with some current to wash away sediment, sandy bottom is prefered over a mud bottom. Also if there are rocks littering the bottom thats a plus. If you do manage to find one It will contain a large portion of the flatheads in that stretch of river. A couple guys in a boat can clean out all the flats in a few days and they wont recover for a long while. So you should be careful who you give its location to.

6. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I look for the flatheads in large holes in the bends of the river. If there is anything in the water to break up the current I really look had at it. I will spend all day looking at the holes with the graph and marking fish. I found in my river that once they go into the holes in the late fall their there for the winter as long as there is no big flood. During the fall up to around early December we catch lots of flats. After that they really slow down till march. Then it's on till June and they slow down again.
    In the fall we catch them in the middle to the front of the holes in the swift water. Good live bait and really the time does not matter so much. I've caught them night and day. It's a slower bite than spring but I get some really good fish.