Fall flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by FWFeecherman, Oct 2, 2006.

1. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey all you veteran catters out there! I keep reading about a great fishing time for flatheads to be in the fall. I have only fished for them seriously in the summer months. I usually do fairly well. This year Im going to try the fall. Do you guys still fish for them at night in the fall, or is there a day bite for these great fish. All of my experiences for them have been in the night. DO they prefer deep holes this time of year or the same as other times? Also is there a water temperature you guys have found that coorelates? I'll be fishing the Maumee and Wabash rivers which are really shallow compared to rivers like the OH and Mississippi. Thanks for any advice and info. Tight Lines and screamin clickers to ya!!!

2. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Fall is a great time to fish. They are hungry and out looking for holes. Fish outside bends and deeper water. The wabash is real shallow up your way. 4.5 to 5 feet is a hole!!! If you find water deeper than that with structure, you should have a great spot. For us the bite has been coming on at about 9pm and completely stopping @ around midnight 1pm. I don't know alot about water temp and river fishing so I can't say anything about that. Hope this helps.

3. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Scoot one of my best places that produces for me is a warm water discharge just south or Mooresville. And it at a Dam and it ranges from 3ft to 16ft is this piticular spot... I have caught Flatheads there day and night in the fall. And the strange thing is i have seen the largest of cats landed in the middle of the day.... But come 8pm or so the bite is on till about 11:30 and then comes back about 4:30 in the morning

4. STC T&F

STC T&F New Member

State:
    Union, MO
    shane, Thanks for the idea... I have a powerplant discharge near home onthe Missouri river. Do you fish right in the discharge canal (hot water). At the mouth? Above the mouth? below the mouth near shore away from shore? still looking for holes or do you think that the fish are looking for the dead fish coming out of the discharge?

Thanks,

MJO

5. Bullhead61

Bullhead61 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Hi guys,

I'm new to the board and so far it looks great. alot of good info. As far as fall fishing, I live in central Wisconsin and I've been having very good luck this fall. I'm at 190# of flathead since the 14th of September. Catching most of mine above log jams in deeper water (7- 12 ft.). Most of mine have come just before or right at dark. I haven't tried any shallow water late night fishing yet. Catching most of mine on suckers and a little luck with bluegills.

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    First of all, Bill, welcome to the BOC and thank you for your input. Hope to see more of you here...:big_smile:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Automobile mufflers don't die, they just get exhausted.

7. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    fall is a great time to catch flatheads.i have been fishing a rip rap with large bolders and logs in about 4-13 ft of water.the bite seems to start rite about at dark and goes til about midnight or so and then about 4 am they will start to bite again till about 6 or 7 am.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I am having alittle problem locating flats this fall. I fish the same spots that I fished during the summer with little sucess. I don't know what to do.

Should I fish further downstream???

Should I fish the dams???

Please help brothers!!!!!!!!!!!!!