Fall Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by BiGgAmE, Aug 14, 2006.

1. BiGgAmE

BiGgAmE New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have been reading and it seems that generally speaking fishing slows down in the summer and then turns back on in the fall say Sep./Oct., what is the trigger to be looking for, air temp, water temp, water level?

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I think the flatheads start schooling up in there wintering holes...Deep water...And they go on a feedy frenzy, just before the winter..The flatheads are pretty inactive in the Winter...I think thats why the bite is so good

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Biggame in the falltime shad really gather in certain areas of the lake. Once that place is found the flats and blues wouldn't be far behind. I found that flats usally hang around the bottom waiting for shad to filter down from above. I usally use live shad,herring or whiteperch. They will also be in areas where there's no cover, if the shad are around. Look for them in the main channels. The falltime bite is pretty good at times.

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff.... I catch my biggest flat in the fall... the shad i beleive are in bigger schools, plus the flattys like to eat alot to fatten up for winter....

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    So is it true that the bite dies down in the late summer and then then bite is on for the fall???

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mid to early fall I am fishing shallow water, latter in the fall I switch to deeper water...Just like anything, the fall fishing can be fantastic, or not so good.

7. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana

Great advice, advice I plan to heed. I plan on hitting deep holes hard from Sept to Nov. Can't be no worse than this summer. I haven't caught a flathead YET.

8. BiGgAmE

BiGgAmE New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    So whats the best time of year to catch Big Flats, Spring or Fall?

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    From what I've seen based on my fishing and the reports I've read, the flats really feed up big time in the spring when the water temp. gets up in the fifties pretty good before they spawn. Fishing is slow during the spawn and then they settle into a summer pattern, feeding at night and early morning. They begin to binge and fatten up in the falltime when the water temp. starts to drop back off into the seventies. They witll start to feed more once cooler weather starts to arrive.

10. BiGgAmE

BiGgAmE New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    thanks for the advice

11. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    April has always been my best month for flats in Indiana and Arizona.

12. jruckman41

jruckman41 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    once the temp in the water starts to drop the bite will be on.

13. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The general idea, or atleast it is in my opinion, is that during the summer, theres less oxygen, fish dont want to move as much. People do catch fish, and big fish at that during the summer, but prolly less than fall. Fall the shad start dieing as the water cools rapidly, and this triggers feeding both because easy prey, and cooler/more oxygenated water.

I think the bigger factor is the water cooling. Second might be the rise in water level from the fall storms. In Texas the prime fall fishing seems to begin around oct, lasting through march, most of the time.

This is looking at more or a bluecat fishing perspective, as I rarley target or catch flatheads.

14. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Food, water temp. and the spawn are factors that motivate flathead. Spring time when water temp. reaches close the low 50's, flathead will feed on most anything including cut bait. Upper 50's till the beginning of June here in Mo. follow the food. This spring period is Thankgiving day every day for feeding and moving around to feed for a season. During spawn, they shut down. Post spawn they spread out, feeding becomes more nocturnal, bait fish are bountiful and in the shallows and this is where the flatheads dinner table will be thru summer till the water temp. starts cooling. In the rivers they start migrating toward winter holes and become much more concentrated. Hope this and the other great help gives the info. needed.

15. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    good advice guys thanks because i was woundering my self

16. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Good info here fellas, Thanks.

17. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lots of great info brothers! I can't wait for it to cool down. Until then I am looking at fishing at a friend's stocked pond just so I can actually catch a cat and have something to eat!