fall flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KATTERMAN, Aug 8, 2009.

1. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    i need some input on flathead movement i have heard and read about flatheads finding a deep hole and staying there during winter,the section of river i fish a 10' hole is a deep hole,further down closer to lake some 200 miles there is some 20 and 30' holes do you guys think flatheads winter here or do you think they would go dn river that far to find deeper holes,looking forward to fall fishing for flats as i have heard that is some of the best fishing,thanks for any info

2. zac

zac New Member

State:
    peoria area illinois
    they would be in both holes

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I don,t know about 200 miles,but I have read tracking studies where they,ve made some pretty long journeys to deep water.:wink:

4. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Im with Pat i dont know about 200 miles.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never been able to find what I thought was a true wintering hole,''Flatheads in my area shut down by late October...I am sure I could catch them latter in the year, but the deep 30 foot holes I fish are empty of flatheads come late october early november.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Really hard to find them here in Ohio from November on thru the winter months. Best place I've fished have always been near log jams with suspended waters.

7. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    thank you for info,the reason i was wondering if they headed to deeper water,they would be needing to leave my area in sept to make it to deeper water and there would'nt be any flats in my area is guess what i am asking if anyone fishes a small river in the fall are they still there

8. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I do not think they move far at all. I have a spot I have caught flatheads all summer long up till the end of november. This hole is no deeper than 8-9ft. That is the deepest spot I have found in a VERY long stretch of this river.
    So no, I don't think they will be swiming 200 miles to a wintering hole. I believe flatheads stay close to home year round.

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    There are some studies you can google up. They commonly move 20-30 miles. The wintering hole is some special mojo. It is not just depth. 10' is deep in my small rivers also. There are a few special holes though, they only need one.

10. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    200 miles is a heck of a trip for a flathead. IMO, the fishing will be great through the fall where you're at, then they will winter somewhere nearby. It's not just about depth, but structure. I think they would winter in a 10-15 foot hole if that was the deepest water available and if there was some suitable structure they could rest in. But yeah, fall flathead fishing is HOT, if you do alright there during the rest of the year, the fall should be even better.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Heres an old article I wrote back in the day. LOL. Maybe it will help ya in your quest. Every river system is setup unique, but have similaritys. I really like holes that are adjacent from the main river channel, and have some structure. The holes that have the main channel blowing hard through them are good in early fall, but seem to lack up later in November..goodluck...rollo

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62990

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009