Fall Flathead catfish-Night or Light?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by patrickgd, Nov 3, 2008.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Water temps on the river I fish has been holding at 57 degrees during the daytime. I'm not sure what the water temp. is at night but would assume it drops at night and rises during the day.

In the daytime the "air" temps have been in the 70's and at night "air" temps are in the mid 40's. I was wondering during this late fall period is night fishing still the preferred time for Flatheads? OR would the daytime be better, seeing how it is warmer outside.

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    good question, i wish i knew, around where i live the temps are gettin in the high 30's at nite and the water temp on saturday nite was 50-51 and the only flathead i caught was small 5#, and that was caught at nite, i did catch a nice channel cat that went 16.4# and several other channels, so the cooler water didn't affect the channel bite at all

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I find that flatheads bite better in the daytime year round, in the areas that I fish.

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i like the daytime this time of year,and also in the spring.the warm sun should bring them up in the fall and spring.but,like jack said,if you got the right spots,you can catch them all summer long in the daytime also.

5. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I've switched to daytime fishing here lately.

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I have greater confidence fishing for Flatheads in the day during the Fall and Spring than I would ever have in the Summer. In the Summer, I exclusively fish at night.

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i caught 3 flatheads last friday in the middle of the day jigging a slab of skipjack in some really heavy trees.. to me that is the difference between fishing during the day or night is location.. if i am flathead fishing at night i may very well be in water less than 2ft deep.. but if its high noon i will be in the closest hole i can find that has logs or rocks or some kind of cover in it.. good luck with the cold water flatheads!!

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Spring time I have caught many flatheads during the day time. I guess these are the pre or post spawn flatheads that are bulking up and they seem to be active during the day. But eventhough I caught some during the day. The action picks up double to triple that at night.

During the summer months I have very little action during the day so I fish before sundown thru night.

9. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    The only time I have to fish for Flats is at night after I get my kids to sleep. I do get a few about an hour or so before dark in the spring though.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Most of my flathead fishing is done at night as well. However, spring and fall time I have caught many during the daylight hours...rollo

11. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    being disabled with half a heart has some advantages if you want to call it that free time I can fish whenever day or night doesn't matter

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    All of my Flathead fishing is done at night. Anytime of the year.:big_smile:

13. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I prefer night myself too I did have some luck already for channels in early spring last year got my pb channel 30" I didn't even own a scale then before I found BOC 30" I'd say roughly 15# he had a nice girth to him I thought it was a flat cuz how big its head was then I saw its jaw and tail good fight though medium gear 14pound cajun red line mono size 1 hook at Blue Marsh lake where they accidentally mixed in flat fingerlings with channel fingerlings when they built the lake our current state record comes from there , well out of the spillway below it

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I fished a little more in the daytime in 2008. I'm startting to believe they bite in the daytime alot more than most of us think. it all has to do with pin-pointing structure or putting the darn bait in front of the flat's face.

It sort of makes sense how flats bite in the daytime during the spring and fall. I'm very positive the shorter daylight has something to do with this.

One thing I do not suggest is fishing during the daytime during the hot July spawn.

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I Fish mostly during the day,and I find that using the same technique that I use at night has a prov en astounding flathead record..100s of them..

I Have only kept in the 30+yrs I've been cat fishing probably 3-4 Flatheads as best as I can remember.And That is because they were injured. there is just something about the Flathead,his viciousness and fearlessness and the hunger he has to Survive. He deserves to Live IMHO.:cool2:.

I only keep enough channels during the early spring feeding frenzy to fill my freezer up enough to have a couple of fish-fries at Church,and maybe a few more as the year goes on.I even throw the Blues back because I feel their flesh is a little to stringy and tough to eat.

People like my Brother says I'm nuts sometimes,but I just laugh the next time were in that same area and I drag in one of the same HOGS that I had caught a few weeks or months before.:big_smile:

16. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have had my best success during daylight hours.

That being said...I've had success at night as well.

I've found barometric pressure has little to no effect on my river cats...as it does when compared to impounded fish.

Around here it has more to do with water levels...especially pertaining if it is on the rise...the fall...or is stable.

The moon phases are a factor as well. The 4 days prior to and preceding the new moon and full moon cycles have validity in my experience. (Be it day or night)

I prefer daytime flathead fishing...because they are easier to locate when they "hole" up for the day...vs. when they tend to "roam" at nights in search of food.

I'll move around more during the day...when at night...I'll set up at a likely spot and wait for the fish to come to me.

Both methods require different levels of patience and persistence...which at the bottom line...spells out what it really takes to consistently catch flathead.

17. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    daytime in the fall they are fating up for the winter and more aggressive feeding fall daytime