Fall flathead catfish feeding in the shallows at night

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catchaser1, Oct 6, 2006.

1. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I know flatheads move to shallow water to feed at night; During this time of year and as it is getting cooler do they still move to shallow water. How shallow is too shallow to fish at night right now and in the coming months?

2. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Tahts a good question I would also like to know that answer:smile2:

3. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    no one seems to want to answer that one

4. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i seem to do better in a little deeper water this time of year the big flatties still come into shallow water to feed just not as shallow as they do in the warmer months.the shallowest fish i have caught in the last month was in 5 feet of water.most of my fish lately have been in water that is about 13 feet.

5. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Steven called it well, this time of the year I woundn't go any shallower than 8 ft. but all I have caught in the last two weeks have been in 12 to 15 ft. of water. (thats at their night time feeding level) Everything that they feed on is moving deeper. They're feeding will diminish when water temp. drop in the low 50's and by mid 40's they pretty much go dormant. This time and early spring is a unique feeding time for flatheads. Downsize your bait and give them more variety. Good luck and enjoy the challenge flatheads offer.

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Catchaser1, I got into the flatheads today on the Ohio. My old man and I got seven flatheads. The shallowest one was in 25 feet of water. Some of the deeper ones were in 70 feet of water. So I would have to say that the deeper water rules when the water temps drop. Vern

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    brad, we get them shallow till the water gets cold( 50). our waters are shallow though so they have no choice. if you have a deep river then guys seam to get them just on top of the primary channel edge.

8. buckshot

buckshot New Member

State:
    kansas
    i seem to do better in deeper water i havent caught anything werth bragging about in the shallows all of my big fish have been caught in deeper water