Fall Flathead catfish baits??????

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Blacky, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    It's time to learn more from the BOC!!!

What's the deal with some saying flatheads prefer oily fish in the fall instead of bluegill that's less oily/fatty. Is that true???? Should I be using suckers and chubbs as opposed to the sunny??? Fill me in brothers and sisters.

2. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I never thought of that, but most my fall flatheads come off live shad-so it could be a very valid point.

3. Big Cat Crazy

Big Cat Crazy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have had the same luck in the fall and early winter as in the summer on perch or gills. I usually have better luck in the spring on gills versus goldfish

4. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I haven't really noticed any difference in bait preference throughout the year but maybe I just wasn't watching close enough. I'm anxious to see what the others say on this. I hadn't really thought about it before to be honest.I've always just used whatever I had whether it was shad. goldfish or perch.

5. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I have been using small sunnies and chubs lately... chubs just make me mad sometimes since they are crafty in the bait bucket when you try to grab them real quick.

When I think of oily fish, I think of cold water, so maybe they do fit well for the fall????

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know for sure either, but I will let you know sunday night. I will be using both perch and fresh shad, and maybe even a few fat grasshoppers just to mix it up. Caught alot of cats on grasshoppers.

7. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    iv been usin small carp and suckers along with shad wen i can get them.

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Blacky

I'm not sure if you were taking live or cut for sure?

What I've seen in NE Ohio on the Ohio River for Flatheads is Cut Shad and some may say Skipjck for the "BEST CUT BAITS"!!! For me it works alot better than cut Gills, Catfish, Cut Carp, Crappie etc., etc.

I started with only using live but here the FLATHEADS choose FRESH CUT SHAD. Also the Flatheads here go into a "Mode" where they "Lite-Bite" here sometimes just picking up the baits and NOT MOVING or only pecking than leaving.
    When they do this to me I play the game with them tight-lining and only get about a 10% hook up ratio and dang proud of it too!!

:big_smile:

9. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Been catching them just about every night down on the ohio on live gill also had cut shad did noticed any preference over either one.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fresh cut shad has always been my best fall bait for flatheads.

11. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I have been getting this the last couple of times out... I have been to new holes each night throwing one rod near the channel/current and one in a slow pool/eddy. The little flatheads seem to hit really hard since they are happy to get food but the slow nibbles from the big fish have been different then in the summer. Last week I got into some nice fish 20lb+ and they were slow nibble/bites and really did not move. I just knew due to the sunny freaking out and then it stopping. I missed a couple of pickups last night on the slow nibble bites and I am pretty certain channel cats were not involved since my bait was pretty easy to injest... who knows. I will see what happens tomorrow night... ha

12. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Serb

80+% of the decent Flatheads I get do this to me on fresh cut Shad all season long!!!

Alot here will not tight-line so I guessin alot don't see this.

If you want to take the time to go through my past post you can see what all they have done to me and others that were willing to learn. No I'm not a "know it all" and do have alot to learn but I do know what the Flatheads have been doing to me and love it. THEY ARE NOT SMALL FLATHEADS that are doing this to me either.

:byebye:

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Serb, listen to Steve, he knows his stuff!!!

I have noticed that all my big flatheads just SLURP down the bait. the smaller ones seem to like to run with it. The big ones will gulp it up.

14. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Makes sense to me since their mouth is a huge vacuum and there is no real reason for them to get out of there real fast. I have had some 20+lb fish almost rip the rod into the water during the summer since I did not have my baitrunner on. I think all of my dink fish are 99% hard hitter/runners.

With that said, for a normal pool... if you catch a little 3-5lb one, what are the chances of a big boy in the area? Do the little guys get scared/pushed out of holes from the big boys or are they tollerant - I assume during the spawn they go crazy, but during the normal times of the fishing season, do they all get along?

15. whisker bend

whisker bend New Member

State:
    georgia
    I fish the coosa river quite often in the fall. Live bluegill work so much better however in the early spring a big lively shad is hard to beat.

16. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Serb

From what I've seen on the Ohio River south of Eastliverpool, OH is that if you are getting small Flats in one area its time to move and find a better spot. Now if the river gets high and fast that MAY change the fishing in a spot too. I've only found two spots that that I normally fish and you may find it the same there or different but my guess its about the same.

One bank fishing spot is an Old blown up L&D where they left the rubble in the river submerged and built a new one close by. Two years ago the average Flathead WAS approx. 17 lbs that came out of there for people fishing with me and its been staying about the same.

The 2nd place/spot is in Eastliverpool, OH when the water level is above 17 ft which is very high and fast there. It, I belive chases the bigger Flats along the shore line there and then it produces the average fish of approx, 17#s than also.

I have fished lots of spots that the average is only about 9 lbs but thats not to say a bigger fish would never come out of them but for me I will not fish them.

Serb, I need to find better/more areas to fish the river for this is one of my REAL WEAK POINTS in my Cat Fishing!!!! :sad2:

I use VERY STURDY ROD HOLDERS and can tight-line and never lose a rod :smile2: .

"Hope this helps a bit".

:cool2:

17. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Whisker

I need to find some better spots on the Coosa if you could help me out plz plz??

Fished down by "Brushy Branch" and the "Old L&D" and notta for me on the Mud Cats.

:angry:

18. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    whisker Bend

WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!

Its great to see more guys from GA and again welcome to the worlds greatest catfishing site.

:haha:

19. whisker bend

whisker bend New Member

State:
    georgia
    I Fish About Two Miles Down From Brushy And About Fthree Miles Up In The Early Spring The Fishing Is Unbelievable In The Fall I Do Very Good But I Really Struggle Finding Fish In The SUMMER

20. sph fisherman

sph fisherman New Member

State:
    Alabama
    In the fall I use fresh headless shad.(5")