Fall Flathead Bonanza

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by Fishmaster1203, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I have been reading a lot about how big Flatheads will congregate in certain areas in the fall and I was wondering what type of areas they prefer when the season starts changing. Seems to me they would go where the best food supply is since they are feeding up for the coming winter. What do ya'll think?

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Fall is my favorite time to catch flatheads. I think they are much more mobile when the water starts coolin into the low 70's and into the 60's then they were in the summertime.I think they tend to move downstream looking for a good hole to live during the winter. I know up north where it gets real cold there may be 2 dozen flatheads in one good hole! Down here in the south they probably do stack up in a single hole, but I don't think to that extreme. During early fall I would start mixing in some cutbaits and toward the end of fall I would be fishing almost all cutbaits with maybe one livebait out on my rigs.......go check the ohio pages in the next few weeks paul......they have them falltime flatheads down to a tee!

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    just wanna kick this back to the top to hear some other opinions......

4. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I very rarely target flatheads. I have noticed that I catch more and bigger flats on cutbait in the fall and spring. Rarely catch flats in the winter when I'm bluecat fishin'.