fall fishing?

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Mrs Okie, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Mrs Okie

Mrs Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Illinois
    The damn Okie and I put in yesterday at Alton and fished the Alton side of the dam for a while. Didn't get a bite. We then locked thru and we set up on a couple of holes below the dam. Once again, nothing. We then drift fished and didn't get a nibble doing that either. What are we doing wrong? When we got here, the water was really high, then we went thru the spawn and then the river got so low you couldn't find a place to put the boat in. We heard that the fishing in the fall was wonderful. We couldn't buy a bite yesterday. I don't think we are really bad fishermen, just pretty unlucky. I even resorted to playing a little Oklahoma "blues" music and that didn't even produce any fish.

I probably made my last fishing trip yesterday until the weather warms up again. I had so many layers of clothes on that I could barely walk, let alone swim if I had fell in the water. I think it is time that I just den up.

Mrs. Okie

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Usually the October bite is a great one. I havent fished in so long I dont know what the river even looks like now. You will need to change your tactics and locations now that the water is cooling down. Try some things you havent been doing. They are there just need some time on the water to figure it out.
    Oh, IT AINT EVEN STARTED TO GET COLD YET!!!!!

3. Mrs Okie

Mrs Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Illinois
    Just what I needed to hear, Mr. Bob. It was 12 degrees the day we got to Illinois. For years we have spent our winters in the Caribbean and on the Gulf Coast and this cold weather is pretty rough on me. The winters in Oklahoma get could, but nothing like it gets up here.

4. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    And these new tactics and locations would be ????????????? :confused2: :confused2: :confused2:

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I have found that cooler water means smaller baits and less current. That is not to say you cannot catch them in the channel just I find more fish by moving away from it. Now you may not have to get too far from it, I usually just start moving every 10 or 15 minutes and keeping fresh bait on and trying different types of water.

6. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Thanks for the tips guys, Now need to put em to good use!​