Fall fishing question

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by BKS72, Sep 11, 2007.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    When does the bite shift to the daytime hours (or does it)? I stop day fishing around May or whenever it gets hot during the day and nights are pretty much all I fish during the summer. Does the bite shift back to days as the water cools or am I better off sticking to summer patterns as they're feeding up during the fall? I love the daytime spring bite when the water is between 60-70, wondering if the same thing happens as the water cools down and if it would be a good idea to shift back to Spring patterns. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Branden

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Branden its been my experience that during the Fall after the water temp has dipped below 70 that day and night can be equally productive. Studies have shown the fish will feed aggressively as they move back towards there wintering holes. I'm like you, I'll take a night trip in the summer almost always, or when the weather goes overcast and sour you can find me out there also. (kinda like our day on the water :wink:) While we all have fun with the Kutter-Cane bashing, its truly a great time to be on the water.

I'm curious to hear the various responses on this topic. My vote is Fall is good both day and night. Thats primarily for the section of the Mississippi River that I fish though.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I think the best way to find fish around KC is to get on the river and go downstream about 300 miles. Then I don't think it matters if you fish day or night... :eek:oooh:

All I know for sure is that I fished the heck out of the river last fall and winter during the day, and I don't recall catching more than a couple of small fish from October through about March. (Now, I'm sure Josh will tell you otherwise, but I *really* did spend days and days and days on the river looking for fish... :roll_eyes:)

As I see it, the problem on the Missouri River once fall rolls around and the navigation season comes to an end is that the river level drops dramatically, and I believe that pushes the fish downstream, especially with the record low levels we had last year. Of course, the same logic would suggest that all the fish upstream from us should end up getting pushed down here, but they apparently don't, so maybe my reasoning is flawed. All I know is I couldn't find a fish last fall to save my life, save for bunches of small channel cats in the dead backwaters... Maybe I should have been fishing at night, but I'm far too much of a girly-man and a coward to do that.

4. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Well... since I pretty much only fish in the daytime, I'm going to say that the daytime bite has been good the past month:smile2:. The water has cooled some 7 degrees in the past 2-3 weeks (from 86 to 79). The temps (air) are looking much nicer than previous weeks.

We've caught 3 fish between 50-51 lbs in the past 3 weeks all between about 10:30am and noon.

Can't wait to get back out there!! Cuz there actually ARE fish on the Mississippi down here. You don't have to go to the Ohio, LOL.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I think what Marty says has ALOT of merit. I think the fish swim downstream as winter approaches as well to find the deeper water they like to hole up in. This absolutely breaks Cuz's heart. Really. :tounge_out:

Please give all those Kansas City fish the following directions......
    1. Swim downstream to the confluence.
    2. At the confluence hang a right, and proceed down the diversion canal and through the Chain Of Rocks Lock.
    3. Swim downstream past the arch, and have them watch for the Plattin Rock Boat Club on the Right.
    4. Tell them they can HOLE UP anywhere between the boat club and St. Genevive. :wink:

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

Sup with the New Avatar Mr Shane? Better watch out, they will accuse you of changing clothes and taking new pictures with the same fish too. :wink:What did that one weigh?

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    THAT'S WHAT I'M SCREAMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Excellent directions, Cuz. Let 'em come on down to the deep water!!!!:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'd heard the theory that they all headed down your way this winter when the water was LOOOOOOOOW over here. I wasn't buying it, but it took me till June to finally catch a blue, so the more I think about it the more it makes sense. I have read that blues willl migrate south in the fall/winter looking for warmer water. Gonna break my heart, but I guess if it stays cool during the day I'll just have to spend 48 hours or so straight on the river and see which produces, days or nights......:wink: I just hate night fishing this time of year, having to build a nice fire, roasting the stupid hot dogs over it, you know, all that terrible stuff.....:big_smile:

9. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Does this mean that the blues will stack up on the upstream side of the dams? They can't get any farther can they? Well, unless they lock through.... But I don't know if they can reach the chain. :)

10. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    dont woory yourself cuz i catch blues in 38 degree water and im north of you now marty if you would please give them fish the proper directions hang a left out of the missouri and swim through the alton dam then through the winfield dam take a breather and head north another 31 miles hooks will be wating

11. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ill have to set out a more tasty marker at the mouth of the Merimac river and one in Kimmswick to attract the straglers. Im not telling where I put the Mississippi Catfish Club and Lounge at! :smile2::smile2::smile2: So Cuz.. you might as well count on running up river! :wink:

12. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Hey Cuz, its a chance I'm willing to take, LOL. I've been letting everyone else catch fish with me this year. I was glad to actually get a decent one myself. He weighed 51 lbs.

Sounds like you all had a great time at "Cuz Fest 2007." LOL Too bad I couldn't have been there.

13. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Shane.. a "Cuz October Fest" sounds like the right thing to do now!! :wink:

14. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    "Cuz October Fest Extravaganza!!"

If all the fish are going downstream.... then.... that means they are all coming down here to New Madrid!!

Seriously though. If they do travel downstream, then they will likely stop when they find whatever they consider to be suitable water. So much for the "New Madrid Migration.":too_sad:

15. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Branden, with these cooler days and nights as fall approaches, I look forward to the change. The flatheads respond first in the upper part of our rivers here with a Sept. bite that shifts to that like in the spring. Time of bite, size and type of bait preference as well as location seems to be the indicators of this change. I’ve found the flathead bite seems to be most active from mid day to mid night during this time, which is the warmer hours and the warmer hours are the most active period for the bait fish. For the blues fans, the shift I see also follows the activity period of the bait which is in the afternoon and evening. I’ve also noted that the bite intensity will often change especially during the cooler moments where variations of J hooks are best over the circles. This is a transition period for the fish so we must be more flexible in our overall pursuit to enjoy this awesome time of the year.

16. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I have been winter fishing on the Missouri for quite a few years now. I have found fish every winter so far. It is often hard to locate them but when you do you can usually have a real good time. They usually dont bite as hard and it is best to use smaller bait. As for location it varies greatly. It seems to make a difference if the sun is shining. I have noticed I do better on bright sunny days. Water temp and depth dont really seem to go hand and hand. But if you got the patience and the endurance, you will catch fish all winter long. I have also found that you can get by with frozen bait. I like to freeze carp, asian or regular. the skin stays tougher than shad. But fresh is still best.

17. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    vince im with you, I had a great time at cuz fest. maybe we should get together next month and do it again

18. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I dont know if I can afford another one. I lost a dollar at the last one. I am on a fixed income you know

19. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Time to start twisting his arm then! You know that Peer Pressure thing! lol

Ill do my best to get you a Sponsor then Bob so you can attend! Rolaids, Dole Banannas or Bananna Boat Suncare?

20. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Gee thanks Vince. I like banannas.