Fall fishing on the Mon

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by barboot1, Oct 1, 2008.

1. barboot1

barboot1 New Member

State:
    WV
    I can honestly say I have never fished much during the fall months here in WV. Either I was hunting or just thougt fishing was over till spring. I would like to fish further into the fall this year. Any one ever do any good this time of year on the Mon? Which baits were most productive. I think I may go to fresh cut bait instead of the live gills just to see if it has an effect. Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Brian

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Well guy from what I'm hearing cut bait is the way to go in the fall. If you can come up with some skipjack they make great cut bait. I've been reading a lot about down sizeing bait and such in the fall, seams the way everyone is going with water being low and slow. I love fall fishing going to be fishing the Ohio tomorrow around Ashland Ky. If I do any good I'll get back with ya tomorrow evening.

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i just caught my new pb flathead (32.8 pounds) last thursday on a 10 inch live rock bass and lost one an hour later just as big or bigger. went saturday night and tried some cut bait but they seemed to want live bait.

4. barboot1

barboot1 New Member

State:
    WV
    Thats a nice flattie. Never tried rock bass, Tried small carp but havent had any luck with that. I would love to catch me some small bullheads to try out. Thanks yall

5. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    This will also be my first year fall fishing. I was wondering if the gills are hard to catch in the fall and do still fish the same spots the same way?

6. barboot1

barboot1 New Member

State:
    WV
    I imagine they would be feeding to get fat for winter. Gonna find out saturday afternoon when I head to the pond to snag a few gills to use. Got some shrimp soaking in garlic powder to use for the channel cats. Should be interesting:0a23: