Fall fishing for cats

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by kansascatman, Oct 28, 2005.

1. kansascatman

kansascatman New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kansas
    re you guys fishin for cats or flats in the fall/winter months and with what baits?I have heard that cut baits work in the spring because of active before spawn.I've had good luck with dip baits here at Lake Shawnee but alot of fish but no size.I would like to catch some big ones to officially break in my rod and reels?If anyone can answer some of my questions i'd sure apprec any help!!!

2. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Get you some cut shad and hit the Kansas or Missouri river. The blues should be hitting good. I'm not sure of the water temps now but I'm guessing they are too cold for the flats.

3. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    use the same baits you would use in the spring live bait for flats and cutbait for blues the flats are hitting good this time of year getting fat for the winter,they slow down when the water temp goes below 50 degrees but now is prime time

4. kansascatman

kansascatman New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kansas
    Thanks guys for getting back with me.My son and I went out to Carbondale state lake today and caught 2 small cats on garlic shrimp but the wind was killer today.I'm thinking of going to Perry tommorrow and fish the small creek systems that head north.I guess i need to get the net out and start gettin bait.Thanks again guy's

5. Alagnewcat

Alagnewcat New Member

State:
    Lawrence, Kansas
    Hey, Just wanted to say hello to the locals, this is my very first post. This site is incredible! And here is a section on Kansas, WoW~. Anyway here it is Thanksgiving Day and I believe its just to far into winter for any cats. Though I saw a 60 pound flathead pulled out of the Walkie about a month ago.

6. Individualist

Individualist New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    Alagnewcat,

Welcome to the BOC. You might be able to catch some blue cats still. People say they bite through the winter, personally I'm out hunting or working on indoor projects during this time of year so I don't have much first hand knowledge on winter fishing.

Brian

7. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Channels and blues are still biting in Tuttle creek and Milford. Cut shad is working for bait.I have been fishing 30ft deep.

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I am still catching channel in the strip pits we have here. They are in 25' - 30' plus of water schooling up along dropoffs and holes at the edge of deeper water. They're not that hard to catch once you find them...but a guy needs a fish finder to help him out. It's much quicker than the process of elimination. I have also heard that the blues are still biting on Grand Lake, Oklahoma to our south. Guys are driftfishing with jugs and rod/reel in 60' of water near Sailboat bridge and catching some nice ones according to my buddy at work who lives on the lake.
    From what I have seen it's not uncommon at all to catch both blues and channel all year long. I have been reading articles about guys up north in Minnesota catching channel through the ice in December and January. I have caught channel in 40 degree water before while trout or walleye fishing other pits we have here using nightcrawlers and minnows.