fall fishing and bad weather days

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Nov 4, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dug out my old fishing jounal tonight and started reading.

I found something that amazed me.

The best catfishing I had in the late fall, late october-late november was when the weather was bad.

The best days was when there was a weather change, cold rainy, and snow shower days put more fish on the bank for me than nice sunny indian summer days.

I even kept track of the days I got skunked, most of my skunkings during this time were good weather days, warm days of 60-70 degrees.

My best fishing was during nasty weather following several days of good weather.

My guess was it was barameter changes that turned them on, whats your thoughts?

2. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Glad to hear this... I'm going to be going out this weekend, and was regretting not being able to get out during this nice weather we've been having...

I was thinking that it's probably the fronts coming thru that fire up the bite... with the front coming thru Friday nite/Saturday morning, maybe it'll put some odds in my favor...

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have noticed that as well. i noticed that in the fall, just as in spring, warm, "Nice" days were no good for fishing. its usually a sign of high, and/or falling pressure especially if it is windy.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Thanks for this info. Now maybe I won't feel so nuts for fishing in foul weather.

5. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    My guess is that your guess is dead on. Went to Rocky Fork on sat but only caught six, well below normal, and it was a beautiful day.

6. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    now that I think of it the same thing applied here for me last spring when it was windy and cold I was nailing fish when it was warmer the bite was much slower and not even cats mostly carp and suckers

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have always been able to catch more fish in fowl weather than in fare . I think it has to do with the Barometric pressure change. My wife thinks I'm nuts for liking to fish in what she calls duck weather.

8. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice weather...bad weather.... i just like to get out and fish!!!!:smile2:

9. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I heard that roger! As frustrated as i get at times i still love bein on the water!:wink:

10. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    my favorite time to fish is during winter, above any other season by far most of my bigger krill's come at this time, and not only for cats, but multi species. last year my bro and i were at the river and it was snowing so hard you couldnt see out 20 feet from the boat and we were catchin 1 after another, but that wasnt the 1st time, its pretty common in the cold weather months to catch a boat load, if you hit the right spot. my favorite month to fish is jan.

11. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    well that will make it easier to sneak away from the office on a bad weather day... no one would guess that I'm out fishing.... lol

12. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    HA, I'm just going to tell my boss I caught a fever and I need to chill out for a while.:wink::smile2: The only problem is they know I'm crazy enough to be out there fishing.

13. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    thats the way i feel.

i think i am going to get out either friday or saturday,been sitting around on my butt too long.