Fall daytime blue catfish location

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by brad kilpatrick, Oct 30, 2006.

1. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    During the last month fishing the Missouri river We have had some pretty good luck, only getting skunked twice in 6 trips. The two skunkings We have taken were during the day. I don't usaly do much daytime cattin, but with the oncoming winter and My desire to still fish being so high I see that changing.

Here lately we have been taking some nice blues off the front side of Main channel humps, But all at night. These fish just don't seem to be there during the day. Any ideas on where these fish go during the daylight hours?

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    we caught 60 blues yesterday..In the daytime...around the brush...with punch bait:crazy: shad:roll_eyes: and skipjack:cool2: It was a slugfest..we went to kerr lake and had a blast..The captian was Johnny{777} and we had allen from poteau another BOC he goes by{ bigsammy} myself and sir charles i call him big time..he likes hooking big gar:lol: Thanks johnny for taking us out:tounge_out: and yes you can catch blues in the daytime we do it all the time..

3. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    I know it can be done sam, I'm just having a hard time locating them during te day right now

4. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Brad try fishin 3-10ft of water,flats,brush,stumps,drop offs,trees where the birds are roostin.Throw everything ya got at em with every rig and bait ya can think of.Dont hang around more than 30-45min or so.Look fer the shad flippin,the fish rollin and the birds divin. Dont give up daytime fishin and hope this helps,good luck:cool2:

5. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    I'm no blue cat expert (I caught just three blue cats in two days this weekend), but I'll tell ya how I got them. We fished only during the day on the Ohio River, and the water was rising pretty fast the whole time. The first two were smallish and came off a steep rocky ledge, halfway down it. The ledge is on a river bend that claims the deepest water in the river. There was a slight protuberance in front of them. My big one, a 38lber, came at 8am off the end of an island, in about 8ft water.

6. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I'm having trouble catching them in the daytime too. I can drift all night and bust out. But, when it comes to day time I just get skunked or get a fest of channel cats. You're not alone with this problem. I have heard that if you find good flats (sand preferrably) with shad and bass busting the water you can usually catch da blues. I have also heard that they linger off of deep rocky drop offs. Hope this helps a little, if you figure out how to do it..... Let me know:wink:

7. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Right know here in texas the thermocline is gone and they are hard to find. They are shallow deep and in between

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Do you guys drift most of the time. I truthfully have never drifted. With the depth changing so iften and moving buy so fast I would think the fish wouldn't have as much time to smell it and hit it.

9. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Brad, the Ohio has been high and rising the last two times that I have been out. With the surface temperature cooling rapidly, I have been getting the blues in 20 feet and less. Most of them have come right off the banks. I know the high water is playing a large role in this, but the fall water temps has also helped. Fishing the banks for blues can also be productive in the spring before the water temps rise. Vern

10. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Vern,
    Thanks for your reply. unfortunalty Here on the missouri, We haave the oppisite problem. the corps ended the barge nav. season early this year and have lowered the river considerably. May ramps are out of the water, but i'm still managing to get the boat wet. The fish i've been catchin at night have been in less the 20' of water in front of larger channel humps and close to the bank.

I've tryed fishing the sand bars between the dykes with no luck also.

11. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Big rivers never stay low long, hopefully it will rain or snow melt northwest of you and cause it to get back high. Vern

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The Missouri isn't your typical river. The flow of water is controlled by the Corps of Engineers.

We get occasional short-term rises from upstream rains, but for the most part, the Corps dictates the water level by controlling release from the one or two major reservoirs on the river in North Dakota (or maybe South Dakota, I forget) They're required to maintain a certain depth for barge traffic during the "navigation season", but for the rest of the year, they can drop it just about as low as they want.

With the drought in the upper midwest, they decided to drop the level about 30 days earlier than usual - apparently they've had only about 60% of the average rainfall in the upper Missouri basin, so everybody is running low. By holding the water back through the winter, they're sure to have enough in the reservoirs that they can maintain the required depth in the spring time once barge traffic resumes.

(Of course, the ironic thing about all of this is that there's almost *no* barge traffic on the Missouri River anymore...)

13. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Brad,
    Now might be the time to try some new tactics like dragging a weight and drift rig across point bars on bends and channel. I have been using a weight made from 10-speed tubing filled with gun-shot that doesnt snag much.
    Either drag line(s) behind boat close with drag far behind or bottom bouncing line(s) down river of boat.
    This could show if blues are in shallow where sonar may not be of help for marking them.

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Another logical answer can be that they are just inactive during the day time depending on water temp, depth, and time of year. A high percentage of my blues came at night. When I did get them during the day time, it was either overcast, rainy, or not far from sunset.

15. kindofsudden

kindofsudden New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Going for the first time soon. Ohio River. Can't wait.

16. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I went out of Riverfront yesterday and we couldnt find any fish all day. The water temp is at a point that the fish are real scattered and it will take lower temps to get them stacked up again. We noticed there was alot of leaves and line trash and I think that was a big part of what was going on. Is the ramp at Coley lake still useable still or is it too far out of the water to launch a boat now?We are gonna start looking at other areas to try to fish as I think the lower water has made a bunch of fish relocate to new areas and we are gonna go find them. Just dont wanna run a long ways in cold weather to do it.

17. koondawg

koondawg New Member

State:
    texas
    I am fishing in 30ft of water, with standing timber, next to a creek channel that is 50ft, using cut gizzard shad, last week 8 in two hours bigen 11lbs. I will be back out there tommorrow and most days this week if the weather holds and I don't tear the boat up again.

18. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City

Glad to hear I'm not the only one having a hard time. Billy if your ever coming out kc way agian this fall and have an extra seat in the boat drop Me a PM I'd love to get the chance to meet ya and compare notes! I fish the KC area all the time. looks like it'll be nice this weeekend so I'm sure I'll be out there

19. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Gonna be a bit because its goat season and my boy is gonna be on leave from the military to go hunting and dads gotta spend some quality time with him. If the river stays as low as it is now its gona be hard to get a boat in anywhere down there without tearing up something. We had to really take it easy puttin in sat. morning but we had the big boat that was a deep v and it takes more water to launch it too.I did see some stuff for summer fishing that I have never saw befor and put it in the old memory bank to go back to sometime when the water is up over the debris. We fished alot of prime water and only had one half hearted takedown, it will get better if we can get a boat in the water to find them.I read somewhere that all it takes is a phone call to get some rock put in to help get the ramps extended. I know you can still put in in St Joseph but I was scouting stuff for next summers fishing and we are gonna look at alot of water this winter to learn more of it.

20. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    I hear You about being buisy! now i'm gonna be splitting time pheasant hunting and fishing, But I seem to manage one or the other most weekends. When on the water I've been marking stuff on the ole GPS to fish next year as well. I'd love the oportunity to get a different perspective from someone new, I'm sure we could both learn a little something! Anyhow just keep Me in mind when Your schedule settles down a little bit.