Fall Crappie Spawn??

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by cod26, Oct 26, 2008.

1. cod26

cod26 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Is it normal in south alabama for crappie to have eggs and roe in them. I caught some today and last weekend that had eggs but they were not mature just more like yolk the male roe was wasnt very pronounced either..

2. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Not sure Ive been catching alot of crappie around here and havent seen any eggs or anything seen some kind of yellowish fluid but Im new to crappie fishing and havent a clue what it is.

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I just started crappie fishing too , caught some here in S/W Iowa that look like they had eggs.Will be interested in finding out more.
    Brian

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    fish,like humans.have to take time to have babies so they start gearing up for spring a long way ahead of time.where you are at depends on how far ahead they start.course thats just my opion.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I think you are right Johnnie

6. cod26

cod26 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    There was a short cool snap and then warmed up I just diddnt know if maybe that could have triggered them to get the eggs but also the males usually get very dark during the spawn but they were the same color as the females. The pond where I fish for them is around 27 acres to so maybe the water is able to heat and cool fairly quick also

7. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    just cleaned 30 crappie and they had eggs and the mail had rowe in them . they will be sponning here in late febuary and march if not before . have cought brem in july and august with eggs in them .

8. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Here in Missouri the water in Truman is 42 degrees and the fish we've been catching the females do have eggs, but as the guy stated the have to have time to develope and the carry them all winter until spring and of course we all have different spawing times according to where we live:big_smile:

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I read an article a year or two back about fall spawning crappie from the Florida Dept of Fish and Wildlife. They documented successful crappie spawning in the fall. Crappie can try to spawn in the fall but in places like my home state of Indiana the eggs aren't viable because of the cold water temps. But in south Florida, where it is much warmer, the crappie actually survive. I thought it was interesting and thought i should pass it on to you. I will try and track down that article.

10. gonefishing

gonefishing New Member

State:
    Near Monroe LA
    Here in North La. the crappie start showing eggs in late Oct. In most lakes.But will not spawn till spring. In shallow water lakes the will be going to the bank in Feb. and March.

Sam W