Fall cold front flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JAinSC, Oct 9, 2006.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We have had a couple of cold fronts come through the last few days. Has anyone noticed whether cold fronts in the fall have any effect on the flathead bite?

Keep in mind that it's all relative. The cold front Friday night brought us down to a daytime high on Saturday of 65-70 and Saturday night got down around 50. The water is still around 75, though.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Cold fronts in my area usually shut down the flathead bite for about 2 days then picks up again

3. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    John, what I have found is the bite is still there just deeper. I will fish with smaller gills and at 12 to 15 ft. during a cold front rather than 8 to 12 ft. normally for this time of year and water temp. Try different things like this to see what works, let us know how it turns out.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks - that's pretty much what I was wondering about.

I fished this past Saturday (see "Lower Santee Saturday"), and the 5 fish that I caught all came from 25 feet plus. This is deeper than I usually fish, but that's mostly because the Edisto (where I usually fish) has very very fiew holes that deep. SO that's kind of what I was wondering - if they were deeper because it had cooled down some (not that 75 is all that cool - but it was 85 not that long ago) or just because the lower Santee River happens to have a lot of deep water. I have also caught them in the deep holes on the Edisto, but that seems to come later in the fall - when the water gets down to around 65 in another month or so.

5. new to fishing

new to fishing New Member

State:
    north carolina
    normally dont catch anything during cold fronts but i fish anyways and once and awhile i will catch one but you got to fish at least 5to 6 feet deeper