Fall catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tomcat85, Aug 17, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i really just started fishing again this year after a 13 year break and im so glad im doing it again. but anyways ive never fished in the fall and i dont really know what to expect. do catfish eat more or less? are they harder to catch any info would be great thanks!

2. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Depending on what kind of cats you are fishing for, I have better luck in the fall than I do in the summer, but not quite as good as spring.

Channel cats I have better luck in the winter/very early spring than any other time.

Flathead for me is best from late March through mid July, then mid August through first of November. Probably could catch flathead all winter if you could come up with bait in the winter.

You just have to catch them in the transition mode in the fall. As temps start to fall, they will begin to move back to deeper, more slow moving waters. As long as you follow them, there is really nothing else to do any differently.

3. jmfraz

jmfraz New Member

State:
    Houston, Texas
    It has been my experience that catching cats is really good in the fall. Some even say that is the time to go trohy fishing for cats. Here in Texas, there are some guide services that market that fas tsaying that the trophy catfishing will start in October and will peak in November thru February. I don't know about you but I don't do a lot of fishing once it gets too cold cuz I hate cold weather (that's why I live in Texas). I think though that after the long hot summer and the temperatures start dropping and it starts cooling off, the cats get more frisky and you can catch plenty of them.

4. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    haha yeah i dont mind the cold too much ill prolly go out in the winter for all i know

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think fall and winter is the best time for fishing, because its been to hot to fish.

6. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I would thik ,fish ,like animals feed heavy for cold weather because food is harder to get and fish tend to whole up in winter any way . Go get um.

7. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i always catch bigger fish in the fall. october and november are hot on the ohio. dont catch the numbers like in may but generally catch much larger fish.

8. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My best fishing is done in the fall i seem to catch larger, more active fish, and the quanity is great too..