Fall catfish patterns

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by skunkedagain, Aug 28, 2006.

1. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Just wondering about some patterns on catching fall cats.Does everyone stay with the same patterns or do they change it up such as depths,bait, times of day.From what I here fall is the best time ,but Ive never been very productive using the same patterns. Please help!!!!

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thats a good question Mark. A lot of it depends on the area, and type of warer your fishing. Ive found that up north, when the water temps start dropping the cats will be feeding more often in the shallower water, and the bite will last longer, especially around creek mouths. I mostly fish in the daytime this time of year. Live and ,cut bait also seem to work better in the fall. Keep after them Mark, and be patient if there are a good population of cats were you fish Youll find em. The colder the water gets the more heavily they will be feeding.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've always wondered that also,thank you for sharing.I appreciate it!pk powell:big_smile:

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

splitshot nailed it. I like to fish during the day and with cut bait on a very slow drift. are anchored in a good baitfish area.

5. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    so we need to target shallow water in the fall?

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    The local reports around here are saying bass fishermen are catching channel cats on the banks,5 foot of water,on crankbaits and spinner baits.

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Splitshhot said it all. I thought you were talking about flypatterns when I first read the thread tag! LOL!

8. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    Some of the patterns that I have noticed is the gorge on fish getting ready for winter. Because some not all get lathargic.

9. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    Bumping This Up I'd Like To Here More

10. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    me too more ,info please!

11. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    On CJ Brown, in Springfield, Ohio the typical pattern is along the Buck creek channel edges, I mainly drift if the wind is right using Bobbers with cut Shad, there are plenty of trees along the edge along with stumps and gravel flats, seems the fall pattern is wherever the Shad are that is where the fish are, the North end is from 1 foot to 6 foot in depth, as they draw the lake down for the winter pool those depths will change as the water goes from cool to cold then the cats move into the deep water channel where Buckcreek cuts into the main lake,about 30-35 foot of water again I drift using bobbers or a poor man's downrigger, but the downrigger seems to catch more fish during the cold winter months, I gather Shad all during the year and vacuum pack it to have enough till the spring then pick-up the dead and dieing on the lake and use them for bait,..................Doc

12. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I think that with the cooler water temps and winter right around the corner the fish will be more active and feeding up giving us better chances of catching them. If you see are find sand (white) bass feeding in an area don't be scared to set a line down there there will be cats along shortly if not already. Drifting covers a lot of water and can be deadly when the cats are on the prowl. If you find an area that holds dinner for the cats, shad, bream, herring and so You can anchor down and fish there. As fro depth to fish it varies, IMO, wit wjere you fish and what food sources are available to the catfish. For me it always a good time of year to head to slack water areas near the dam and areas with easy access to big water that I know hold bait fish. Pease remeber these are just my opinions and what I have had success doing in the past.

13. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Tell them to "Knock it OFF"!!

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Really, How dare those bass fishermen...LOL

15. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    anybody else ??????????????/

16. fitzytbone1

fitzytbone1 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Just want to pop in and say that this is some helpful stuff for a newbie like me. Just got into catfishing seriously this summer and have no idea whats in store for the fishing in the coming months because I have never had the opportunity. This advice about what lies ahead is great for people like me. Thanks guys!!!