Fall Bite

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by Dave L, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    How's the fall bite going for everyone?

I was out on the upper St.Croix last sunday night and managed to pick up a few nice ones (channels) in the 12 to 18lb range. They were hitting hard on the twice frozen (4-6 inch) sucker minnows I had (mush), if the bait didn't fall of so easy I probably could have limited (10) in the matter of a couple hours.

Water temp at surface 64.7

Air temp 44

Clear, half moon

Everything was released and I managed to get a pic of one.

Attached Files:

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    18lbs..... Nice fish mate!
    Haven't been out too much the times I had have been a little slow.

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yea it has been slow for me up until Sunday. I think the bigguns are starting to feed more aggressively. Going out friday night, I'll know fore sure after then.

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Good luck Dave,
    I'll be out also, got my fingers crossed. Its our last night of league.... Running 4th place in both channels and Flats. A nice flat would be the icing on the cake.

5. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    yeah flats on the mn in my stretch have really turned off. fat channels around though. Nice one Dave!

6. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Member

State:
    North Dakota
    The past few times I've been out the bite has been up and down but then again I fished 3 separate stretches of the Red. The Canadian cats are slamming right now. Hawgs to say the least and lots of them. I fished around home here the other day and it was a bit slow (I think a quick water rise and some weather fronts slowed them for a couple days) then off to the fargo stretch where we put on a clinic for channels.

We have been stable for a few days now so I suspect the bite is hot all the way up and down the river. It's feedbag time folks.

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congrats,thats a nice catch of channels.

8. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hit the river last night with fellow member warreneichner. The catching started right away, Warren landed his very first sturgeon, and then another with in minutes of anchoring. Then the cats started to hook up with a 2 lb channel then a 11 lb an 8 and then a 10. The bite slowed up for about 45 min. and Warren gets a good hook up on a monster sturgeon.
    Warren fought the beast for a good half hour before we could even get it to the net. We measured and weighed it with my 220 lb coffey game scale. It turned out like this: 61 inches, 58.4 lbs. Caught on 30 lb spiderwire and 4/0 kahle.

After all the excitement and release of Warrens new PB sturgeon, we get our lines back out and warren catches his new PB channel cat at 18 lbs.
    The night ended with 1 more channel at 6 lbs.

1st pic. Warrens first sturgeon.

2nd pic Warrens PB sturgeon.

Attached Files:

9. warreneichner

warreneichner New Member

State:
    minnesota
    Well it had wiskers...

10. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats to him. Always excited to hear about when someone catches their PB

11. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    while fishing the st croix focus on using LIVE suckers. fish the shallows in the late evening and early night. place ur baits in front of large rocks or downed trees. also, i always fished just down river from the public access site near st. croix falls above the damn. when it comes to fishing below the dam, try to get permission to fish right below the over flow gate on the wisconsin side. there is a large deep pool surrounded by large rocks in shallow water. in that hole, i managed to pull out several smaller walleye, at least 50 extremely large sheepshead(fresh water drum) and i few giant cats, flats and channels. the area was hard to fish with any type of lure. i used a nightcrawler on a medium sized hook...standard walleye hook. i used no weight just the crawler and hook. the fish tore it up everytime. i fished all day and half the night with fish on every cast. be sure to get permission or walk down the fencing slyly and crawl under the opening. i did get talked to by people working there and they were very nice. the was no problems at all. so give it a shot

12. ArmchairDeity

ArmchairDeity New Member

State:
    MN
    Dude, that sounds incredible... I'll have to try getting there one of these days. Cool post, thanks.