Fall and Winter fishing for cats?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Sep 11, 2005.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering to cats better in the cool season? and also do cats stay on the bottom in the cool weather?

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Edited version. I am wondering do cats bite better in the cool season?

3. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    How cool? Our lakes and rivers freeze over with up to 3ft of ice. Do people ice fish for Cats??

4. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I like the fall and winter season myself.I fish all winter long.I hope to post some good fish photos on here this winter.As i stated in on of the earlier post this week I caught my largest home water fish in Dec.I caught several nice fish last year in Jan,I'm not saying they bite better,but ,yeah they bite real good.Larry as far as the ice fishing,they do ice fish for cats.I've seen Al Linder and his group catch them on ice.I think right now is the prime time to hammer a trophy flathead.It don't get to cold to fish. :D When it comes to depth,I fish deep,alot don't agree with me ,but I go deep. :D

5. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    They definitely feed during the winter and are usually a bit girthier,guess they like to get their bellies plum full for the season.
    I've noticed they don't hit and run as hard in the winter,occasionly you'll get a few that will hit hard but most of them seem to just suck on the bait or somethin.
    Theres been many times i've had fish on,hooked, and never knew until i picked up the pole to check if there was still bait on it or wasn't hung up on anything.
    Other than the soft bite the action is usually really good and they all have big plump bellies which is always a good thing.If you can find a hole through the ice i bet they'll be stacked up in there.I usually will get a few channels out of each hole i fish.They seem to stack themselves in there,so when the actions slows or stops i simply move on to the next hole.

6. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    LArry, 2 years ago I tried ice fishing for cats on the Minnesota down by St Peter. Needless to say, not a bite, and I didnt have any fun either. Even though I have fished that area for many of years, and I knew the river well...ya never know. By mid-day I was more worried about going through the ice than catching a cat. It's definitely not for the weak hearted!

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats good to know guys.

8. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I was in Massachusetts for about a year and a half and watched guys going out on an iced over river fishing for "whatever". I thought that might be pretty much fun. But, then one day I walked down to the bank of that river and looked at the water that was showing around the edges of the ice, and watching the current flow. And, then started thinking to myself as to just how much that moving (warmer) water was eating away at the ice. And, that you would never know where a thin spot was. Thus, I gave up on the idea of doing any kind of ice fishing, be it river or lake.

9. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Many years ago in Colorado I got a wild hair to go ice fishing! A buddy of mine and I went out and chopped a hole in the ice and fished for several hours, with some luck. To make a long story short, I nearly lost my toes to frost bite. To this day my toes still ache when they get cold.

Needless to say ice fishing is NOT in my book of favorite ways to fish!

10. CatfishWEIRDO

CatfishWEIRDO New Member

State:
    Madison WI
    I never have much luck ice fishing but my uncle glen is a hard core ice man and he usually gets a limit of gills on a regular basis give that a try.

Good Eating

11. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    Down here in Alabama, I can honestly say that I can't really tell a difference. The water goes way down but I still hunt out the same spots(drop offs with a steep slope) and drift fish along the slope. But the water probably dosent get below 50 degrees if i had to guess.

12. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    Here in NC the big blues bite like crazy during the colder months i like useing eels and when the shad start dieing i use about 3 on one hook find a school and drop right out there in the middle of it big blues love it

13. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    kinda depends on where you are

up north when things freeze over you can fish through the ice and catch the occasional channel cat

in the south fishing for blues its by far better during the winter .. bigger and more fish