Fairmont park 6/2/08

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by godsglad8tor, Jun 5, 2008.

1. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    my friend angela called me early in the day to go fishing, havent been fishing this year at all so i said okay its a go, we will go night fishing at fairmont park... i went to pick her up in colton around 6pm, then drove to the walmart off mt vernon to get nightcrawlers, to my surprise they were not open due to a bomb threat. i guess someone was mad that they couldnt get the day off and decided to creat a bomb scare, pain in my ass none the less... we eventually found night crawlers at sportsmart off tyler st near the mall then made a u turn toward the lake...

when we arrived at the park at 730pm, we parked and threw the lines out, a loud scretching noise and scream was enough for us to turn heads, a lady driving about 35 slammed on her brakes to miss a duck, without success on missing the duck they drove off leaving the carcass in the road... shaking my head in discuss i mozyed on over there and picked up the dead duck and layed it on the root of this tree out of the way. got a few nibbles on the night crawlers with bowkers dip, but no major hits. around 10pm i was fed up with the nibbles and decided to change to livers dossed in bang garlic spray. what a difference, bigger hits and landed a 4.5 cat male. so i was on the prowl. around 12 we decided to move but left the 1 cat in the water, with no luck in the next spot i decided to come back to the1st spot but a few 100 ft from the actual spot. checked on the first cat and was still on the strainer/chainlink... at 230am i landed a simular 4.5lb cat male. i took him to the strainer to join his brother in law and to my surprise the first one was hooodini, some how ehe was able to unclip himself to the shackle style strainer so i said forget this and just attached the 2nd to the strainer. so 330am hit and we decided to call it a night so i took my 1 catfish to the car and loaded up everything and headed to take my friend home.

on the way to colton, cruising about 80, right around central and main st my car too a crap. out of no where the engine just died, headed my way to the shoulder, examining the engine with no resolution for the car not to turn over. i remember i had a coumput reader i had bought a few months ago and plugged it in to see if cant find out what was wrong. something to do with the camshaft there was a malfunction. so either the timing belt snapped or i have a bad sensor. was able to get my car off the freeway and on to side streets and with the help of my mother to get back to my house at 6am. after cleaning the one cat, i made a few calls to uhauls to rent a tow dolly at 7am. riverside had 2 so i loaded up the truck and went down there, he said i needed a stronger ball, running on low sleep i said whatever you need to do man. both trailers had bad wiring so i was not able to use them, and im like just my luck. he gave me the ball for my troubles and sent me to san bernardino for a trailer, was able to pick up the trailer and ran over to pick up the car, took 10 pushing attempts to seat the car right on the trailer, that was fun. took the car home and it took 3 attempts to park the car in the driveway. after that i took my friend home and then drove to u hual to drop off the trailer, 45 bucks to use it vs a tow truck, worth it in my eyes. went home and crashed at 430pm.

so that was my fun filled day on 6/2/08, hope you enjoyed the story haha

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    fair day of fishing, bad day with cars. not a fun combo.
    i spent the night up the colorado river at a boat in camp with a friend a few yrs back. since we were tied up for night and tent was up, we decided to whoop it up a little too much. later, caught a flathead about 12-15 lbs. put him on the wrong stringer (i had a heavier one should of used if was able to think better) and tied off to back of boat. next morning went to pull it in and filet out, and nothing but empty stringer there. it'd twisted the hook open. now i don't own one of those kind of stringers anymore.
    gary

3. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    funny you say you dont own a metal stringer anymore, because when i found that his brother in law escaped i threw the metal one in the trash lol, cost me 5 bucks for that thing, junk in my opinon. someone told me the fish might have deathrolled and somehow snaged the clip to open it, the clip was open when i pulled it up

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    they are well known for doing that roll. mine had swivels, but it was short. think it just jerked it open. i was "heavy sleeping :embarassed:" in the boat and wouldn't of felt a thing.
    now i use at least a 3/8 - 1/2 rope for the flatties, and heavy rope for channels. change them out often down here in the heat.
    figure out your car yet?
    gary