Fair Price

Discussion in 'Boating' started by waterwalker, Jan 9, 2007.

1. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Just wanted some input from the BOC members. I have a 17.5 G3 pro bass
    boat I am thinking of putting on the market. The boat was bought new in
    2000, I used it twice in 2000, and about three times since then. Since the purchase I added 2 electric anchors, dual batteries, with battery switch. The motor is a 25 hp Yamaha 4 stroke, will run around 28 mph. The hull is
    the new type hull, not v and not flat, believe its called improved v and is
    very stable. The boat is aluminum and it is welded, not riveted. The motor
    has power trim. It also has two cannon electric down riggers...the hard
    ware or mounts for the riggers are installed and wired. the down riggers have never been in the water. It has an onboard gas tank, I believe is 25
    gal. I upgraded the fish finder to a Humming bird 3d dual beam model. The trailer is included with some improvements for easier loading. I paid a little
    over 11000,00 when I bought it, just wondering what you guys would think a fair starting price for the unit. I know I am going lose big time, the
    time since the purchase is going to hurt me, even though it has less than
    five hours on the unit. Be honest gentleman if I can't get enough for it
    I'll plant flowers in it LOL. Oh I forgot it has a high end trolliong motor.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Go to www.nadaguides.com and click on "Boats" at the top of the page and you can get an idea of what your boat might be worth. The motor will be priced separately from the boat and trailer, so you'll have to check the price of the motor after you check the price of the boat and add them together.

If your boat has sat outside uncovered in the sunshine and snow for several years, it's not going to be worth much, no matter how little time there is on the engine or how few times you put it in the water and the value on the NADA web site might be pretty close.

But a well-maintained boat in excellent cosmetic condition with low time on the engine will be worth considerably more than the value shown on the NADA web site. In that case, compare the features your boat has with other new and near-new boats on the market and adjust your price accordingly.

Do be aware, however, that a fully-loaded used boat and a stripped down used boat will sell for very nearly the same price -- those downriggers, etc. won't improve the value much and you'd probably do better to pull them off and sell them separately or put them on eBay. If the sonar unit is more than 2 or 3 years old, it's outdated technology so isn't worth much -- newer units on the market have more features and cost far less.

Finally, I'd suggest that you hang on to your boat until late spring or early summer if you want to maximize your selling price -- January isn't the time of year to be selling a boat (though it's a great time to buy a boat!) Wait till May or so and you'll have many more potential buyers and will be able to get a better price.

Good luck!